Front Projection & Room Lighting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary TP, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I have a dedicated room being built - 21x16 for HT and looking at the Z2 and a 106" HCCV dalite screen....
    I have total light control (no windows)....

To those who have designed their dedicated rooms:

How did you introduce lighting for TV watching (football w/ friends) without compromising PQ & washout? Any suggestions for techniques and types of lighting to use? Tips on setting up, etc?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Take a look at my setup. The room was finished already when me moved in but the nice thing is the lights are controlled by 2 different switches. So I can leave the front ones off and just turn the back lights on ..which gives enough lighting for Sporting events with friends....

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Gary, I have two light sources...both on dimmers: Wall sconces and then rope light under the stage/risers and around the ceiling behind crown molding. I usually turn on the rop light while watching tv w/folks if we want a bit more light...but I have also dimmed the sconces and that works well too. All can be seen by following the link in my sig. I have a Z1 w/a Da-Lite HCC 92" screen.

E

4. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

My riser lights give off just the right amount of light to make your way around without stubling, yet not comprimising the picture. Also they are on a remote control dimmer so you can adjust them.

http://www.keelercables.com/keeler_theatre.htm

5. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Eric, I have rope lighting behind my crown molding and around my riser and sconces on the walls. I dim both and they give off plenty of light for game watching. My can lights stay off except for cleaning and the rope/sconce lights get dimmed off for movies. Look for X10 remote dimmers to control it via remote.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you have recessed lighting, make sure the front ones are on a different switch from the back. Also, mount the actual bulbs high in the can, so that they illuminate in a downwards cone instead of everywhere.