Front Projection: Progressive VS. Interlaced

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jaxon's Dad, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Hey all! I've been playing around with my new InFocus Screenplay 4805 and am trying to figure out some things related to Progressive Scan. My DVD player is the HK DVD-22 and I'm running component video directly to the projector. Ok, here goes.

If I understand everything right, running a progressive signal from the DVD player to my InFocus will actually render an image that has been de-interlaced twice, because the 4805 has the Faroudja DCDi chip. Am I right? This would probably explain why most of the menu animations and some of the opening credit script of the DVDs I've demoed is less than smooth. Also, some 2-D animation (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast) as well as some 4:3 material The Marx Bros: Monkey Business) feature jaggies in Progressive mode, but look much better interlaced.

Would this also explain why the image appears larger in Progressive mode since the hardware is creating extra scan lines? Or do I still have much to learn?

I'm kind of anoyed that I've bought into the idea that a Progressive Scan player will render an image that is gorgeous only to have my very first experience with Progressive Scan bring up some slightly bothersome issues. Admittedly, this is just a matter of adjusting my mindset to appreciate the Screenplay's Faroudja de-interlacing chip, but it's still a little frustrating. I'll get over it. In the meantime, I welcome all comments and look forward to a HTF education. I'm a sponge, y'all. Fill me up!

Thanx!

D

2. John S

John S Producer

Could be that there is some quirk with 480p input on the projector, but I am banking that the deinterlacer on your projector is really just that much better myself.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The 4805 indeed has a Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer, commonly considered the best chip out there (along with one of the Silicon Image chips). It's one of the big reasons that the X1 and the 4805 are so popular. Don't know what your H/K has, but it's not a Faroudja unit that I recognize.

Basically, if you give the pj 480p, it will just pass it along without tinkering with it, leaving it alone - 1:1 pixel mapping - no deinterlacing is needed. If you give it 480i, the X1's DCDi will de-interlace the image.

What you are getting is that the deinterlacer in the pj is better than the DVD player. You're probably better sticking with s-video and letting the pj de-interlace the analog 480i, or getting a quality Faroudja DVD player.

It's amazing what little defects show up when you start blowing the picture up.

4. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    John,

I'm coming to accept that as a fact. [sniff]Good-bye Progressive Scan. I hardly knew ya... [​IMG]

Dave,

Isn't S-Video a step down from Component Video? Still I may try going with it just for kicks. If nothing else, I'll really appreciate Component Video.

Except that the defects (jaggies) disappear when the player outputs an interlaced signal, a net result being that the overall picture is reduced in size a little. I like the smooth film-like image the Faroudja chip produces, but I hate that, in order to get an artifact-free image, I have to sacrifice the size that Progressive scan affords. I'll just have to get used to it, I guess.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I forgot, the 4805 has more inputs than the X1 [​IMG]

You could just send 480i via component, indeed.