Front Projection or RPTV? what are the facts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George W, Apr 25, 2002.

1. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

My friend is planning to spend around $2000 at the end of the summer to buy a new display device, and I've been asked to help him decide what to purchase. I've been reading up a little and I'm aware of the dvi/hdcp fiasco so we'll be sure to get something compatible. One of my friends prime concerns right now is moving the display, since we're in an apartment right now and he goes to Korea in the summers. In this vane I thought a fptv might be a good idea, but I'm unsure if there are any quality units out there for this low of a price. He is looking to achieve widescreen in hdtv, and we have an xbox that will be hooked up too. He is also hoping for maybe around 50" or so whichever way he goes. I have a progressive scan dvd player that we will be using for dvds. So I guess my question is whether or not front projectors can compete with rear projectors at this price, and if not then what should I look for in an rptv so it will look the best with DVD's and Xbox. I appreciate any leads you guys can give me. Thanks,

George Wright

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat (apt dweller who will be moving) and I've pretty much decided that FPTV is the way to go if you have light control and good video sources. $2k can get you nice stuff but there's not a lot out there with DVI/HDCP right now. Check out Panasonic (AE100, 75U), ProjectorCentral (www.projectorcentral.com) has a very nice review of them (the AE100 can be had for $1400 from www.pricejapan.com but be aware of problems from ordering from Japan (eg service, duties, etc). www.avsforum is a good place to look too.

3. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark for the advice. I will check out those sites and see what I can find. Does anyone else have oppinions on this debate? Anyone using a projector with an Xbox? tia,

George