Front Projection is the way to go. Off the fence and loving it.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Larry Talbot, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I just got my first front projector - a Sanyo Z1 - and I wanted to suggest that any of you who are on the fence about such a purchase - like I was - will be VERY happy if you finally make the decision to buy. There's just something so magical about having a big screen (65 inch diagonal but I will go bigger) WITHOUT the big bulky RPTV setup. My girlfriend and I are house-hunting right now and it's always weird to see these medium sized dens or living rooms completely dominated by these huge RPTVs that still provide less screen space than a front projector.

Yes, the image is not quite as sharp as my old tube TV, and yes, I will have to replace the bulb on the FP eventually, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses. I finally have an actual THEATER in my home. That's what it feels like, and I never had that before.

It seems strange to me that FP's aren't being advertised more. I went to practically every big electronics store in my area and their FP displays were either non-existent or completely pathetic. The few projectors I found were either stacked on a shelf somewhere gathering dust or, if they were set up to display an image, had zero light control, making such displays totally worthless. I did see one FP in a special theater area but it had a long-throw lens and the image was three times too big for the screen, so you were basically looking at a corner of the movie...It was a joke. It was obvious at every place I visited that the sales staff had no clue about FP and didn't give a shit about talking to me about it. It seems strange.

Anyway, back to the main thrust of this post: To me, bumping up to FP it's almost as big a jump as going from VHS to DVD. If you've been on the fence about such a move, I say go for it.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Larry,
    What is your setup like as of now?
    I am looking at the PLV-Z1...I am getting a demo of the X1 next week and I had a demo of the Sharp Z90U about 3/4 weeks ago so I am still waiting for the OK to purchase from the other half. i have the OK to purchase I just haven't been given the nod to purchase....

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I will agree with everything you stated Larry. I moved up to a Panny 200u FP from a 46" ISF'd Mits, no regrets what-so-ever. Going FP was the second biggest HT upgrade I have made. The #1 spot still goes to building my own dedicated room in the garage.

Sure, there a some slight picture quality sacrifices going from an RPTV to a 1k FP, but like you said, those small sacrifices in no way can compete to the huge image. I am running an 80" screen and could not be happier I made the upgrade. I'll never go back to a TV for my HT.

As for your question to why they arn't very popular. Most people do not have the dedicated rooms or good light control to go FP. Most go RPTV in their living-rooms or dens. Also, I doubt most would use FP's for everyday use, where an RPTV would be perfect. Even though FP's have improved greatly and prices have dropped considerably, I doubt they'll ever really take-off amongst the majority of the populous.

My plan is to run my 200u for 2 years and then upgrade. At that time, PQ should be improved upon and prices even lower.

Nothing can put the theater in home theater like a huge picture, it's awesome. Enjoy!

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

They're also unpopular because 99% of the reviews in the magazines are for projectors costing a gazilion dollars! Only recently have they done reviews on projectors in the $2000 region.

The only reason I bought a projector was because a 57" rptv wouldn't fit down the stairwell.

Now I don't have to worry about burn-in, $500 ISF calibrations, and having a three hundred pound beast screw up my imaging [​IMG]

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Congrats on you new projecotr.

It's almost a year since I got my Sony HS10 and have not looked back since. There is no contest watching when HDTV on a 100" screen verus the 53" rear projection tv.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hearing my 3year old daughter say she wants to watch movies on the wall is priceless[​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Congratulations and welcome.

I am now on my second projector, the first was a VGA 640x480 and the second is a WXGA class. You and my fellow members are correct that it simply an awesome experience and I could not imagine going back to even a 65" RPTV for my HT room. You will want to revisit your entire collection.

7. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Larry,
    What is your setup like as of now?"

It's in a small room, about ten and half feet by eleven and a half feet (terrible shape for acoustics). There are two windows in the room which I have blocked with drapes, but some light still gets in. A small amount of light also seeps in under the door.
    I want as little ambiant light as possible, because it definitely affects the picture (thought that may be amplified by my particular setup.) The Z1 is temporarily located on a low table in front of the seating area (this is not ideal, because, among other things, it ommits a small amount of light out the back, which is a little distracting. I plan to attach it to the ceiling later, with a home-built mount.) I use the low-fan mode, and the projecter is audible, but then again I'm sitting right behind it. I hope it will be less audible mounted on the ceiling, but again the pluses so far outweigh the minuses that it is not a big concern. I can easily live with it and will if need be.
    The lens is about six and a half feet from the screen, and the seats are about ten and a half feet back.
    I'm projecting onto a white sheet, which is a joke, but still manages to look amazing. I can't wait to see what it will look like on the Parkland Plastics screen I plan to buy from Home Depot today.

I'm feeding the Z1 a prog. signal from a Panasonic CP72 DVD player, using cheap RCA cables. I have my Xbox hooked up through the S-video connection, which looks pretty bad, and also suffers from some flicker. I plan on buying an Xbox VGA connection, which should look much, much nicer and will offer prog. output which the S-video doesn't have.

We're looking to buy a house soon, hopefully with a nice, long rectangular basement space, and I'll be moving everything in there.

In short my setup right now is kind of half-hazzard and far from ideal, but it still looks amazing - to me anyway - and I'm somewhat picky about picture quality. I'm thrilled with the colors of the Z1, less thrilled about the blacks, which as is often said, are somewhat faded. What impresses me most, right now, is color accuracy, particularly with flesh-tones. How I suffered with my old set, trying to get people's faces to look natural...No more struggling in that area for me.

Another great thing: I watched a Chinese movie last night, "Quitting" (highly recommended, by the way) and man is it great to have those large easy-to-read subtitles, instead of the tiny little text on my old TV. It actually makes watching subtitled movies a lot more enjoyable, which was something I hadn't even thought about before I made the switch...To say nothing of how much fun it is to watch big action movies on a big screen.

Ron-P, your posts and home theater page partially inspired me to go the FP route, so I'm glad to see you weigh in here.

"You will want to revisit your entire collection"

You hit it on the head Neil, that's exactly what I'm doing. Again it's like going from VHS to DVD in terms of the overall impact. (Or maybe going from Prolog to DD, take your pick.)

Yet another benefit is a (percieved) improvement in the audio experience. How can this be, you might ask? Well, I have my front speakers spaced about seven feet apart, because that is the optional placement for them in my room. But with a smaller screen, things often seem slightly off, spatially. A car will drive from left to right and the panning sound will seem too far from the image of the car. With a bigger screen and my left and right speakers right on either side of it, the impact of the picture and the audio is much more cohesive and seamless. I had a (relatively) big soundstage, now I have a big picture to go with it. It makes more of a difference than I thought it would.

8. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

As a Z1 owner, can you check out this thread and report back here?... www(dot)avsforum(dot)com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300362

9. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Sure thing, Kimi-R. I belong to that forum as well. I don't see any scanlines on my projector.

10. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

Thanks Larry! Have you actually done the test in that thread, looking for the scanlines, or have you just not noticed any from previous casual viewing?

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Thanks Larry! Have you actually done the test in that thread, looking for the scanlines, or have you just not noticed any from previous casual viewing?"

Well, I have to revise my answer, Kimi-R. I am NOW seeing faint black vertical lines, but ONLY when fast forwarding. This was not there before, but now it is. As long as I only see it while fast forwarding, I won't be too troubled...I don't know if this is the same thing described in that other thread. I'll post there as well. I haven't done the end credit test but I will now.

13. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

Hmm? The scanlines described in that other thread were horizontal, not vertical, but it mentions nothing about fast forwarding - just comparing the look of the vertically moving image when playing (thin scanlines in image) vs. pausing (no scanlines - solid image).

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson