front projection decision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tony skyfly, Oct 5, 2002.

1. tony skyfly

tony skyfly Auditioning

Hi There,
    My room is 13'wide by 22'deep. Seating will be from 10'back to 22'. The screen will be a section of wall 10'wide by 6' high. I want to ceiling mount 12' from screen 6.5'high. I hope to use all formats plus computer games,internet,and hdtv. I appreciate all suggestions regarding equipment and also any input on what paint to use on screen wall.
    Thanx
    tony

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let me first move this to the correct area, Display Devices/TV's/Projectors.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ok. We will deal with the paint issue in a bit. First off, what is your budget for a projector? What kind of viewing do you mostly do, movies in widescreen (dvd/LD), HDTV, lots of 4x3 material?

4. tony skyfly

tony skyfly Auditioning

projector budget is about $5,000. I've been looking at some used 2-3,000 lumen lcd.s in that range. I've been told lcd or crt is better than dlp for a 140" picture. I will use about half widescreen and half 4x3. Is crt out because of my fixed distance of 12' from screen?

5. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

CRt is also out based on your price range, I think. I"ve seen an LCD (Sony) and a DLP (Sharp) set up in the same room, and the DLP blows the LCD away.

6. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

7. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

You don't get to choose the throw distance. If you want a certain screen size you must adhere to the proper throw distance per the projectors specs. No ifs, ands or buts. LCD will almost certainly give a screen door effect if you are trying to drive a 10' wide screen. I'd suggest a smaller screen and then mounting the projector at the appropriate distance. Regards.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    140" is a very very big screen. Your room would have to be totally light controlled and even then, I am unsure how well it will look as personally I have never seen a home setup that large before.
    Take a read through this article from Projector Central regarding choosing either 4x3 or 16x9 screens and projectors according to what would be better for you...
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/formats.htm. For me, I watch strictly DVD's (widescreen) on my setup, with the ocasional temporary hookup to broadcast material (in 4x3) for the odd sports game. So for me native 16x9 was a given. The article will explain about this.
    About that 12' mounting distance, that will be very close for a 140" screen. I don't know of a projector that will give you that screensize from such a short throw, and even so, watching it from 12' away would be cumbersome. The general rule is to sit 1.5 x the screenwidth away from the screen so a 140" screen would require seating 17.5ft away. To give you an example, my screen is 16x9 and is 45" x 80" so my seating is 120" away, or 10ft and from that distance, it is plenty big.
    Were you planning on installing theatre seating at 12ft??
    Keep us updated.

9. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, darned imperial system? Thanks

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

CRT is out because of the light output necessary to drive a 140" picture at this price point.

You may want to consider a Sanyo 70HT (or Boxlight 20HD). That's probably the brightest 720p capable projector in your price range. It also has very good contrast, DVI input, MLA technology (for reduced screen door effect), is reasonably quiet, and can be calibrated to D65 yet maintain good colors and contrast.

A 140" 16:9 screen would be a bit wide for your front row, if it's 10' back. At 10', it would give you a 53.9 degree viewing angle, probably too wide for anyone with both eyes set in the front side of his head.

Personally, I'd suggest moving that front seating back just a little bit to about 13-14' and the rear seating up maybe 2 feet or so. Remember, you should leave room for speakers in the back.

A 140" 16:9 screen is just under 122" wide. A 16.1" viewing distance from a 122" wide screen gives you a 36 degree viewing angle, the ideal angle according to THX specifications.

In terms of paint for the screen, how much of a budget do you have for it?

12. tony skyfly

tony skyfly Auditioning

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm flexable on seating and budget. Has anyone painted their own screen?

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tony, I assume you can control the ambient light in the room, I hope so. The Boxlight Cinema 20HD is a good choice for projectors...
    [​IMG]
    specifications
    Review - Sanyo PLV-70 (same unit)
    Once you decide on your projector, and knowing the type of room you have and viewing conditions, will allow you to select the kind of paint you want to use on your screen to achieve the correct gain for your room and projector.