Front Projection Components

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hardy Jr., Oct 9, 2002.

1. David Hardy Jr.

I apologize beforehand if I'm in the wrong forum.
    My question is what am I to purchase that goes with the front-projector and screen? Is there any "support equipment" that needs to be purchased as well. I also know that a good HT Stereo system is also needed.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum David.

I am going to move this to Display Devices/TV's/Projectors and chime in as soon as I get back to that area.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    OK. David, do you already have the front projector and screen. If so, what type, model?
    If it is a crt projector, then you may require some scaler/line doubler. Most of the newer lcd/dlp projectors do not require "doublers" and they accept progressive scan signals from a DVD player. A normal DVD player will have 480 lines of resolution (480i) but the progressive players will use techniques to give you "double" the resolution or 480p. (I am using simple terms here).
    So, you will need to get a DVD player, receiver, speakers and lots of cables [​IMG] First though, let us know what you already have now.

4. David Hardy Jr.

As for what equipment I have. I do not have any projector equipment. I' m in the process of upgrading my receiver(TEAC Dolby-Pro Logic) & Speakers(Technics Loudspeakers (old)). So I'm going about it piece by piece.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How much is in the budget in the present, and in the near future?

6. David Hardy Jr.

Well for the start of my HT audio system I have a budget of about $2500. For the Projector and screen about $3500.
    Is this not enough do I need a bigger budget?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That is enough to get you a very nice set of HT equipment if you plan it carefully and select components accordingly. Tell us about the room where you will be placing it. Do you have adequate light control (can you make it dark during the daytime)? What type of material will you be watching on it? Primarily widescreen, lots of 4x3?
    I think you should actually post two threads. This one recommending the best video setup suitable for you for $3500, and also another thread in the Speakers/Subwoofers area recommending the best audio setup for $2500.
    Also, take a look at these threads which have similar objectives as what you have...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=99868
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=99494
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=98417

8. David Hardy Jr.

I Thought About turning my garage into the HT Room. Altough I do not know the dimentions of the room.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]
    There are many members here that have done just that. Here's what I recommend then....
    1- Use this thread. We can help determine a good projector for you although I already have some ideas based on the info so far.
    2- Create that thread in the Speakers And Subwoofers area to recommend some good speakers for you in your price range.
    3- Create a thread in the HT Construction & Interiors area. You will find a lot of useful tips there to help you to transform your garage into a suitable HT room.

10. David Hardy Jr.

Thanks for the input![​IMG]

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I see you have the threads started. Regarding projector selection, since you are using your garage, you will have good control of ambient light. This is especially important when it comes to screen selection. There are various types of screens with different relectivity, depending on the room's ambient light. There are also many types of screen from pulldown screens, fixed screens, perforated screens (for placement of speakers behind the screen), motorized screens, electrimask screens etc etc. Budget, room, and type of projector will determine your screen.
    One of the first things you can do is do demos of various projectors in your price range.
    You also need to ask yourself what you will be watching on it primarily... widescreen 16x9 material, or 4x3 material. This may decide whether you go for a projector that is native 4x3 or native 16x9. Take a look through this article on Projector Central to see the pros and cons of each.
    FYI, I watch primarily movies that are widescreen. Let us say we have 2 projectors. One is native 4x3 @1024x768 and the other is native 16x9 @ 1366x768. If I were to watch a movie like Toy Story which has a 1.78:1 aspect ratio, then the actual framesize on the 4x3 projector would be 1024x575 with the rest of the frame devoted to the black bars. If I were to watch the same movie on the native 16x9 projector, the actual framesize would be 1366x768. You see that even though both projectors are capable of displaying the same vertical resolution, the second setup makes use of the whole 16x9 panel for the 16x9 movie giving you a higher resolution. If you watch a lot of 4x3 however then both projectors will give you the same resolution of 1024x768 but the second projector will have "black" bars by the sides of the 4x3 image. The article explains more.
    Anyway, here are some initial possibilities for you....
    Boxlight Home Cinema 13HD
    NEC LT260
    Sanyo PLV 60HT If you can find a deal on one.
    Sony VPL HS10 Cineza which I am hearing a lot about. Have not seen demo'd yet.
    There are many others though. Others can chime in on that.

12. David Hardy Jr.

Is there a thread that will tell me what determines 4x3 material, and 16x9 material. How do tell what is 16x9 material this is really what I' am leaning toward.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    David, most of the widescreen DVD's that come out these days are 16x9 enhanced. Some of the earlier ones like...
    - The Abyss
    - True Lies
    - Titanic
    - Crimson Tide
    are not 16x9 enhanced. If you will be watching mostly widescreen stuff and very little 4x3 stuff the you should definitely be leaning to a 16x9 projector and screen. Examples of 4x3 titles will include a lot of the older movies made before widescreen became mainstream like The Wizard Of Oz, Peter Pan (disney), etc.
    Give this a read...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...908#post511908

14. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That too is an interesting point and certainly would skew your choice to a 16x9 setup, especially if you intend to watch more anamorphic stuff. What are your viewing habits now? (Do you have a DVD or LD collection) What will you be watching?

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    David, is there any update on the Video and Audio components, and the garage transformation?

17. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

David,
    You need to consider what material is most important to you. For this kind of system, you'd probably want to limit its use to movies (if movies are your most important source) and use something else for your "normal TV" watching.
    Jan