Front or Rear Projection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonBisk, Feb 19, 2003.

1. JasonBisk

JasonBisk Auditioning

I am looking to purchace either a rear or front prjection display. Here's a list of the components that I will be using:
    -Panasonic RP91 DVD Player (Prog Scan)
    -VCR
    -DirecTV (Cheap RCA receiver with S-Vid out)
    -Nintendo GAMECUBE (Prog Scan)
    -PC running at at least 1024x768 (VGA Connection)
    I was looking at getting the new Samsung DLP Projection TV (HLM507W), but then I was thinking for the price of the TV, is it possible to get a front projector? The TV is on for about 4 hours a day, I just leave it on while doing stuff in my room. I have a basement appartment, so it is VERY dark down there. Can someone give some advice on both the front and rear projection paths.

Thanks,
    Jason

Edit: The topic should say Rear, not Read. [​IMG]

2. JasonBisk

JasonBisk Auditioning

Come one...someone must have some advice!

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Well, alot has been said on the recent releases of 'affordable' projectors. You should do a little bit of searching both here and at AVSforums.

Having said that,The new Infocus X1 should fit your needs and is really cheap (for a PJ). On top of the already cheap price, Infocus just started offering a $100 rebate on them as well.

RG

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For movie watching I would recommend the FPTV but for casual Tv watching I would recommend the RPTV. Beware when using a CRT device for gaming for "burn-in". Try a search on burn in for more info on that issue.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

By all means go Front projection if you have a darkened room and have source material (DVD, HD) that would look good on a big screen. Cable, and DSS don't look so hot blown up 100" wide so it's not such a must-have if most of your viewing is "TV" IMO.

BUT if you *do* plan on watching several movies a week on your system...NOTHING compares with the effect of a big screen and a projector...

-dave

6. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

I got a projector instead of a RPTV, with no regrets. Television isn't horrible, and movies make me giggle like a little girl. A projection system frees up a lot of floor space, too.