Front Firing vs. Bottom Firing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Russell R, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Russell R

Russell R Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering what everybody prefers and why. I am designing my new adire alignment tempest and am looking for ideas.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I suppose you might get a little compression from the floor but really, at those frequencies the difference is minimal. Some comment about sag but the Tempest suspension system holds up quite well. I've used the Tempest both ways and IMHO, it comes down to a matter of cosmetics. I went with front firing for now because it fits the space where I put the sub better.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

FWIW I have also tried both with my Tempest and havent heard a difference.

4. AndersP

AndersP Stunt Coordinator

Hi.

I´m building a pair of 6 ft tall, 2 2,5 ft wide sonotubes because I´ve got a super deal on a used TC-sound 15" pair.

To get the most out of the room I´ll place the drivers as close to the floor corners as possible at the ends of the tubes and so they will be down firing.

The difference between to equal subs, placed away from the walls, one conventional the other down firing, I think is nominal. There are other, more important things to consider.

5. Russell R

Russell R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

That is what I thought.

6. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

One thing to take into consideration is ease of placement. With a down-firing sub, there is only one possible orientation for any given location in the room. With a side-firing design, you may need to experiment with the orientation of the driver with respect to each location when attempting to find the best possible in-room frequency response.