What's new

Front Firing Sub Question (1 Viewer)

Mindain

Grip
I currently have my sub facing the wall to the right of my television. Should I A. put the sub flush up against the wall with the drivers facing it? or B. Leave some room between the sub and the wall?

Also, would it work if i tilted the sub over and had the drivers facing the ground?

Thanks, Aaron

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I'm not really qualified to answer this, but I feel like writing, and a more knowledgable person will chime in, anyway. These are my thoughts: Why is your driver facing the wall? I think most front firing subs are designed for the driver to face toward you. If it's a ported sub, then the port should face the wall, and against the wall would be prefered- all depending on your room dynamics, etc.. If it's not a down firing sub, I would not face the driver to the floor simply because it's not designed for this in the first place. If you get better bass from having the driver face the wall, then I would think you do want some space between the wall and the driver, but again- I just thought I would give you my thoughts. Now let the sub gurus take over.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Not all drivers can be used down firing. You can ask the manufacturer, but I doubt they will tell you if it could or not (they'll just tell you to keep it front firing). If you can manage to find the T/S specs of the driver you can use them to determine if the driver can be used downfiring.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_paper...rientation.htm
The rule of thumb for a port is it should have a least one port diameter between it and the nearest surface. For a driver I'd recommend at least 4".
As for facing a wall or not, won't make a lot of difference (provided you don't have the driver or port too close to the wall). Bass wavelengths are so long it doesn't matter what direction the driver is facing.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
This is common allot in car audio (the drivers facing the rear of the car. For some reason this produce better results in some CARS. In home theater, the free gain factor is much less and the direction you face the driver or drivers, generaly has little or no bearing on responce.

Placment of the sub itself in the room (corner, middel of the front wall in the back of the room etc.) will have a much bigger bearing than facing it up down or at the wall.

If against a wall or butted into a corner, I agree with Brian that at least 4" min of room for the driver and port to breath.

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks