Front-firing or down-firing sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan F, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

My living room floor is the (carpeted) concrete slab the house is built on (nothing under the carpet but carpte pad). Will this affect the performance of a down-firing sub vs a front-firing one?

Thanks in advance for any repies.

Alan

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The carpet is your biggest enemy. If down firing, give it a hard surface to sit on.

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I've seen several posts on this topic, and several people recommending you buy a ceramic tile from some place like Home Depot to put under a downward firing sub. I got a 14 inch tile for three bucks or so and it seemed to definitely improve the sound...

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The concrete is cheap so why not try it.

But I have had my sub in my parents basement (thick plush carpet on thick underlay that is on a concrete floor). I didn't really notice any sound quality or output capability changes between that and the concrete slab, on carpet that is on a wooden main floor, that I have it on now.

I think the slab lessens the bass transfer to the basement, but moving the sub is such a pain in the ass that I haven't tested that assumption yet.

With subs it really doesn't make any difference if the driver is down firing or front firing. Bass frequency wave lengths are just too long.