What's new

Front-firing or down-firing sub? (1 Viewer)

Alan F

Auditioning
My living room floor is the (carpeted) concrete slab the house is built on (nothing under the carpet but carpte pad). Will this affect the performance of a down-firing sub vs a front-firing one?

Thanks in advance for any repies.

Alan

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've seen several posts on this topic, and several people recommending you buy a ceramic tile from some place like Home Depot to put under a downward firing sub. I got a 14 inch tile for three bucks or so and it seemed to definitely improve the sound...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The concrete is cheap so why not try it.

But I have had my sub in my parents basement (thick plush carpet on thick underlay that is on a concrete floor). I didn't really notice any sound quality or output capability changes between that and the concrete slab, on carpet that is on a wooden main floor, that I have it on now.

I think the slab lessens the bass transfer to the basement, but moving the sub is such a pain in the ass that I haven't tested that assumption yet.

With subs it really doesn't make any difference if the driver is down firing or front firing. Bass frequency wave lengths are just too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks