Front Effects?? Are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I have a friend who has bose 901's as front effects. He snubbed me because I didn't have a reciever with front effects. How should I respond to this? Is he correct when he told me I wasn't getting true dolby digital/dts w/o using front effects. I think he might be upset because I was bagging on bose speakers?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What are "front effects"? I suspect it's something coined by the manufacturer of your friend's receiver, since it's not a term used by either Dolby or DTS.

His claim sounds like nonsense.

M.

3. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    The only receiver that I know of that uses front effects is the Yamaha RX-Z1. However, I've yet to actually see one and see what the deal is with these front effects channels. To me it seems like a gimmick and the idea of setting up nine speakers (7.1 + 2 effects) doesn't really appeal to me.

- Mike

4. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Front effect speakers are found on upper end Yamaha receivers/processors. They are placed in the upper front corners of the room above the mains Some swear by them others don't use them. I used them during my Yamaha period. They created a larger frontal image area that was enjoyable with certain movies.

FF

5. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Yes it is an upper end Yamaha receiver

Miles

6. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

I had the DSP-A1000 (I think i got the model number correct). It was awsome for music, but didn't do much for movies except for concert videos. All I miss now is what it did for concert videos.

7. randy bessinger

randy bessinger Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha has had the front effects speakers since the first consumer DSP product the DSP-1 (just an add on processor) was brought out several years ago. I can't remember the gentlemen's name (I think it was Bill Sommerweck-not sure of spelling), but he was a big proponent of DPS modeling in Stereophile. I had the DSP-1 (it was noisey) and then the JVC 1010 digital processor that also had front effects speakers. I have also had the DSP1A and still feel the JVC was way ahead of its time. It was stolen from me, but it was a great piece of equipment. All the later JVC DSP 5 speaker processing sucked in my opinion. Later, Lexicon developed the additional channels being on the side and rear rather than the rear and front like Yamaha and the JVC.

8. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

imo,front effect channels are bs, Yamaha are the only people I know who use them.. and again, imo anyone with Bose shouldn't be snubbing anyone.. I would love to tear into him [​IMG]

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Gimick. I've heard it. Interesting, but not exactly beneficial, IMO. Not to mention this is a DSP, there are no soundtracks with actual "front effects" tracks recorded...

10. randy bessinger

All a matter of taste. I mean I like electrical instruments and distorted guitars etc. To be a true purist to the nth degree, you might just want to listen to live accoustical instruments with no micropohones.

11. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

John:

12. John Garcia

John
    Yes and no. While it is processing, it is also mastered that way with some material, unlike the entirely artificially extracted front effects with Yamaha.

If you are talking about matrix, CS5.1, Logic7, or some other upconvert mode, then yes, they are basically processing, not reproducing specifically recorded (flagged) tracks.

*edit - clarify

13. randy bessinger

Would DP2 be considered just a recreation of the original recording?

14. John Garcia

John
    I consider DPL-II to be an upconvert processing feature also, particularly when using it with stereo or other non-Dolby mastered material (to simulate the other channels)

I'm not saying DSP is garbage, but I personally don't like the way most of them sound, especially for music. Circle Surround sounds better than DPL-II to me, but DPL-II is definitely better than DPL for movies.

15. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I also thought the idea of front effects was hokey - until I tried them. The front effects + Yamaha DSP's made a huge fan out of me, to the point where I won't use another processor or receiver (if I can help it).

To each his own.

Rich B.

16. randy bessinger

I have yet to hear DP2 or Circle surround. I can understand why people may or may not like Yamaha DSP modes. I found myself listening mainly to the Jazz venue, but not liking stadium. Heck, I don't like listening to a concert at a stadium so a re-creation was not my cup of tea. I will say that I don't like 5 channel DSP (or at least what I heard) even on the Yamaha. I much preferred the sound with the front effects channel, but again to each his own.

17. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got a Yamaha 2095 which does this as well. Decent effect; I'm probably going to upgrade and we'll see if I can live without it.. [​IMG] I think it definitely does add something, but I don't really use it much in movie mode, though I think some of the CD's really benefit from it. YMMV.

18. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

I seem to remember reading in Widescreen Review about using DSP to extract the extra 2 front channels from some films that were shot in 70mm. SDDS also incorporates 2 extra front channels- could this be what the Yamaha processing does- extracting these channels that already exist in the recordings? At least to some extent?

Andrew B.

19. John Garcia

John
    Hmmmmm...hadn't thought about SDDS. It could be the same, as I believe (not 100% sure) both use SRS's "decoding" to perform this extraction. SDDS in certain theaters sounds quite good, far better than the effect that I heard in a friend's house with a Yamaha receiver.