Front Center Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DanielWS, Feb 6, 2004.

1. DanielWS

DanielWS Auditioning

Jan 31, 2004
    Hey, I am in the process of finishing my basement/future HT,
    the drywall comes in monday, and I need to know where to place the speaker wire for the Front Center Speaker on my future 5.1 or 7.1 system,

I will be using a Projector, with a screen, and so I would like to know what some of you HT pros have come up with as solutions to this problem,

I think a speaker on the ground would look kind of weird, and one near the ceiling too... Would placing the speaker behind the screen affect the sound???

I don't quite know what to do, any help would be appreciated

2. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Oct 7, 2003
    Kevin Stewart
    Below or above, not behind.

It depends upon how high your screen will be and how high your other fronts are. Whichever is the closest to the left and rights in height is where I would put it. You can always angle it up or down.

You can also wire it zigzagged (start at the top of the wall between the two center most studs and work your way down going between the two studs- creating a zig zag pattern with the wire). Don't terminate the wire at either location. When you figure out where to put the center, just punch through the dry wall where you want it, grab the wire and hook it up. This gives you the ability to put it centered on the wall at any height.

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Sep 17, 2003
    Unless your screen is acoustically transparent, a center behind the screen will certainly be negatively affected. Acoustically transparent can be a screen with micro perforations, or something similar to speaker grill cloth. The former I believe requires use of an equalizer, the latter usually does not.

Ideally your center would be behind the screen, but if that's not an option, I would choose whichever option puts it closest in height to the front left and right speakers. I'd venture a guess that for most people using floor standing speakers and a largish screen, a center as close to the bottom of the screen as possible will be the best option. You'll need to use some sort of stand, of course.

Aaron Gilbert