Front and Center speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Eftekari, Dec 28, 2001.

1. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

Hi, im looking to buy new front and center speakers for my entertainment system and I was wondering what you guys think are the best in the range of $500-$600 for everything. I don't need massive floorstanding speakers but some nice fronts with 6-8 inch woofers would be fine. Also I really do want a powerful center channel becuase my current one is pretty weak and its hard to hear some voices in movies wihtout during the volume way up. I listened to the JBL N-center and JBL N28's at bestbuy and they did seem fairly nice.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So you want 5 speakers, each with a tweeter, mid-range and woofer for under $600.
    Thats a bit of a tall order for that price.
    May I suggest an alternative?
    Many very good HT speaker sets use small speakers each with a single tweeter and midrange, and use an external, self-powered sub for all the bass. (Ok, the center usually has 2 mid-range drivers).
    With a woofer in each speaker, your receiver now has to drive that power-hungry woofer x 5. An external, self-powered sub frees up a lot of power for the more important higher frequencys.
    An external sub can be placed in a optimal position in the room to get the maximum wall-reflections. The other 5 speakers are placed in a rough circle around the listener which is optimal for them, but not for bass response. Having the sub seperate from the speakers is actually a better setup.
    So for HT, it is usually superior to have an array of tone-matched small speakers and an external sub.
    These sets can be had for around the $600 price. Look at things like the Energy Take 5, Acoustic Research, or if you like internet companies, there is a site called HTB that sells several speaker sets with good reputations. (Hint: search for "HTB Level 3" on this fourm for other satisfied customers).
    This site is also usefull:
    http://www.cheaphometheater.com/
    They do reviews of inexpensive, but good sounding speakers and electronics.
    Good Luck.[​IMG]

3. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

oh I already have a 5.1 system I just want to replace the center channle and front left right channels, so only 3 speakers. I already have a fairly nice sub also.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ohhhh (I guess I should read more carefully). [​IMG]
    A lot of people like Paradigm speakers. They make a nice L/R/Center that people just love. I think you can get the front 3 for about $600.
    I still think you are in the market for monitor-style speakers without woofers. Let that nice sub do what it does best.

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Yes like Bob said, Paradigm's Monitor3's and the CC-370 would be a really nice match for fronts, I actually want that set-up in a few months-a year. I love it, it sounds wonderful.
    There is also the Boston Acoustics, which sound really nice, I believe the model number is VR940. Yet I wouldn't know what center to go with it[​IMG] sorry...

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I would recommend the JBL S-center with the JBL S-38 as mains. All this can be found for 400-450 and will certainly be a winner.

We recently set up my brothers system and he wanted "good" for less and the above filled the niche quite well. I was surprised at how well they sound and are obviously very efficient. Personally, I use JBL all around... just older and larger.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I got all 5 of my previous setup for $600... Paradigm - 4 Titans and a CC170, so yes it can be done.

For just the front 3, I'd say Mini Monitors (the Mini is a much better performer than the Monitor 3, and less $$$) and a CC370. MSRP would be right around $700, but you should be able to get them for a bit less and they will do an excellent job.

I don't like any of JBLs offerings. Polk would be a better choice, and could definitely be had for around $600, possibly a CS400 or CS245 and 2 RT35s or RT55s.