From these symptoms, will this DVD record to a DVD recorder???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Antinoro, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Chuck Antinoro

Chuck Antinoro Auditioning

I load the DVD in question in my standard SONY DVP-S530D player. I connect, via s-video to my Hi 8 camcorder. I’m able to record to Hi 8 with no problems. Same goes for my VCR. As a test I tried most of my other DVDs and usually get a “Copy Protection: Unable to Record” message on my camcorder or a jumpy/discolored screen on my VCR. If I buy a DVD recorder, will I be able to record excerpts of the non-copy protected (???) DVD? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Maybe. DVD recorders have CGMS copy-protection in them, so even if you can defeat Macrovision, CGMS isn't necessarily defeated. There are a few options available for DVD copying (not that I advocate it or think it's worthwhile, considering how reasonably-priced DVDs are). Have a look at the 'DVD and LD Hardware' section @ avsforum.com.

Update: Sorry, didn't read your post carefully. Since you say non-protected DVDs, you should be able to copy. Can't be sure until you try.