from the USA Today: "HDTV leaps 'last hurdle' in transition"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_V, Nov 8, 2002.

1. John_V

John_V Agent

2. Michael St. Clair

DTV has not leaped its last hurdle by a longshot when a set of rabbit ears in NYC that can pick up 19 NTSC analog stations can only pick up 3 digital stations modulated using 8VSB.

There are many issues to overcome and battles to be fought in the years ahead.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

4. Michael St. Clair

Can DVI look better than look better than 1080i component?
    Sure, but 1080i analog component on a $5,000 TV looks like film to most consumers.
    This constant trashing of component video interfaces is more propaganda from the MPAA, who wants to downrez them and force DVI with HDCP.
    Gee, if analog component interfaces look so bad, why does Hollywood want to downrez them? [​IMG]
    The fact is that analog component interfaces can deliver more quality than 90% of the HDTVs on the market can even handle.
    This article is ill-informed and misses the real issues of current DTV.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Hey, it's digital, then it must be better than analog, right? [​IMG]
    There's nothing mentioned in there that couldn't be accomplished today with a cable box, and in fact the only real innovation there is the effort to eliminate the cable box. While that would be nice (would finally be able to easily use PIP on digital and premium channels, for example), everything mentioned in the article seems to have as its primary purpose to make it harder to time-shift. [​IMG]
    But I'll be happy if I can time-shift in 480i at least...
    /Mike

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want my cable box or hidef decoder box built into my tv. How will I be able to upgrade the box? Its like embeding the dvd player in the receiver.

The "last hurdle in transition" for HDTV is going to be when the majority of the people out there consider buying a hidef tv. The networks and hardware people can talk and put out press releases all they want, if they can't convince people to actually buy the product then HDTV will go nowhere.

7. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

The cost of accessing HDTV via receivers has to come down or this will not fly, at least not in my house!

$DIRECT -TV: go buy a new dish...cost=$50 ok
    Go buy a new receiver OTA/Direct-tv compatible (Sony HDA200) cost = $799

NO WAY!!

The receivers have to come down to the $300 range or its not going to cut it.

Alex

8. Michael St. Clair

Warner Cable's $5-a-month digital (with HDTV) box rental enticed this customer.
    Plus, I get locals without having to put an antenna on my roof. Believe me, I tried getting OTA DTV with rabbit ears for a while (DTC-100), it is unwatchable here, and I am only 10 miles from the transmitters!