1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"From the Earth to the Moon" on Blu-ray July 16th

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Crawford, Apr 16, 2019 at 5:09 AM.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 27 Apr 16, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah baby, many of us have been waiting on this excellent HBO series for many years to be released on Blu-ray. Looks like our wait will be over in three months. I preordered it from Best Buy. I just watched it on DVD again this past October which was "The Signature Edition" DVD from 2005. I guess I'll be watching it one more time this summer, but in 1080p.;) Credit to Bill Hunt for making note of this upcoming BD release.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/from-the-earth-to-the-moon/883929680566

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-from-the-earth-to-the-moon/33788148?ean=0883929680566

Doug Wallen, DavidJ, Osato and 3 others like this.
  2. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    July 16 would be 50 years to the day of the actual launch of Apollo X1's mighty Saturn 5 booster. Four days later Armstrong and Aldrin were walking on the moon. Even though I only witnessed it on television, those are days that I remember vividly Part of the adventure and wonder of our lives.

I'm glad that this series will finally get a HD treatment. I of course have the original DVD release and love it. A wonderful series that didn't just concentrate on the daring and heroics of the glamour boys...one of my favorite episodes in the series is "Spider", which gave due to the engineers and technicians of Grumman on Long Island NY, and their pressure packed, heroic and torturous design, development and testing for the Lunar Module Lander...a craft of the kind which had never, ever been built before, designed only to fly in the low gravity environment of Lunar orbit and make a one time landing and return ascent...a craft so fragile in the Earth's gravity in which it was built it had to be built and transported with the greatest care...cardboard thin titanium and aluminum, the lightest insulation ever developed and a lot of it enveloped in gold foil...amazing! Another favorite episode is "The Original Wives' Club", which paid a righteous tribute to the women behind the heroes of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.

Looking forward to seeing the new Apollo X1 theatrical Imax documentary and PBS's three part American Experience documentary, Chasing the Moon in July too!

3. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I might need to triple-dip on this one. I owned the original DVD release that was 4:3 and just HAD to upgrade it to the newer Signature Edition with the 16:9 framing. That's been the go-to edition ever since, but I surely would love to see the series in 1080p.

I'm assuming that the Blu-ray will use the newer 16:9 framing. I recall quite the discussion around these parts about the framing change back in 2005.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I picked up a copy of the DVD for about ten bucks last fall - I had fond memories of seeing this when it was originally on, but hadn't seen it since then.

I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was by the rewatch. It just didn't hold up for me. There were some individual segments I loved (in particular, the episode on Apollo 12 was fantastic), but I really grew to dislike a lot of the narrative devices that were used in the storytelling, like the heavy presence of the fictional reporter. These things took me out of the story and made me feel that I was watching a TV show. I was really bummed to have that reaction, but sometimes it is what it is.

I'll probably give it another try in a few years next time I get the space bug.

Jack K, Osato and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Hmm, I'm surprise by your reaction, but "different strokes for different folks". I was totally into it and watched all the episodes in a 48 hour period.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was surprised too. I remembered loving it when I first saw it.

Osato and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I too really loved this miniseries when I first watched it (on VHS, I believe). I haven't seen it since. Excited by this Blu-Ray announcement!

Flashgear likes this.
  8. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I love this in general, although sometimes I watch Spider as a standalone. It's so good. And so is the music for that episode. Truth be told I usually skip the episode The Original Wives Club. But other than that, I love this series and am excited. I never thought this would get a BD release at this late date. I heard Tom Hanks was making noise about it. Maybe his was the clout to finally get this done. Or maybe it's because we're celebrating the 50th in July. Either way, bring in on.

Mrs. Carab, Flashgear and BobO'Link like this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That's one of my favorite episodes as somebody finally gave the wives of these brave men some credit and shine the light on their personal issues.

Flashgear likes this.
  10. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I'll give it a look on BD, for sure.

11. Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone Stunt Coordinator

If anyone ever gets the chance, go visit the Cradle of Aviation museum in Uniondale Long Island. You will get to see up close what I believe is the only remaining complete Lunar Lander left. In fact I believe it was borrowed for this series. They also have a second one that was not completed that is interesting to see as well.

Flashgear and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm rather excited about this release.

I'm a "space kid" and have loved and followed the space program since I was old enough to know what it was. I watched many of the Mercury launches live as well as all of the Gemini and Apollo launches and the moon landings (what a thrill that first one was!). While working in broadcasting I'd stop what I was doing to watch every time there was a launch. I watched in horror as Challenger blew up (it still chokes me up to think about that day) not believing what I'd just seen. I still follow the program although not quite as regularly as I once did.

I watched this series during its original HBO airings and loved it. I've purchased both 4:3 and WS versions of the DVDs. I'll purchase this on BR and wish they'd do right by it and release it with both formats in the set. It looks pretty good in WS (just a few framing issues) but I prefer the 4:3.

Flashgear, Brent Reid and Carabimero like this.
  13. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I have the collectors addition. I got it in the mid 2000s after a visit to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, I got it from best buy back then for about 90.00. I will definitely be getting the blu ray version. The only thing I did not really like about the series when it ran on HBO was the conflict between Emmett Seaborn and Brett Hutchings. I think Hollywood unnecessarily included a Narrative about a reporter and another reporter competing with one another.

Flashgear and Josh Steinberg like this.
  14. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Every five years or so I go through a NASA phase, where I watch For All Mankind, Space Men, When We Left The Earth, The Right Stuff, From the Earth to the Moon, Apollo 13, and now I will add movies like Hidden Figures and First Man. I try to watch everything in chronological order, even if it means I have to jump from drama to documentary without completing each set.

15. John*Wells

John
    Seeing this Thread, I'll Pull From the Earth to the Moon and start watching it tomorrow

16. GlennC

GlennC Extra

Glenn
    Excellent news. Definitely a must by for me.

I have watched the DVDs many times but always skip the last two episodes.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Why?

18. GlennC

GlennC Extra

Glenn
    It is a while since I watched the last two but seem to recall I found The Original Wives Club boring and Le Voyage Dans La Lune a bit odd.

Having said that; when I get the BluRay I will definitely watch them all.

It is many years since I have seen those two so my opinion may change.

Mind you I tried that with Centennial and absolutely loathed the last episode. Having skipped the last episode in previous viewings; for my last rewatch a year ago I thought I would try it again. As I was watching it with someone I had to sit through it. I found I hated it even more.

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    I get in the space mood every time there is a launch. We used to live much closer but even though we are now on the other FL coast we still watched the fire in the sky the other day for the heavy launch vehicle. It just never gets old. I'll give the 1080 a view when it becomes available.

Flashgear likes this.
  20. John*Wells

John

I was raised on Florida’s west coast in the 70s and early 80s. And lived there again for work from 2008-14. Even in Tampa you could hear the sonic booms when the shuttle was on approach. It was awesome

Flashgear and Mysto like this.