What's new

From The Digital Bits some Paramount 4K titles in 2021! (1 Viewer)

JimMiller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Miller
In case this hasn't been posted here, "Paramount is preparing to release Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments (1956) on the (4K) format on 3/30, followed by George Cukor’s My Fair Lady (1964) on 5/4, and JJ Abrams’ Super 8 (2011) on 5/25. Please note that these dates are to be considered tentative and subject to change."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This seems to be covered in a couple other topics and the topic header is super vague.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
now if Paramount would just release GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH in Blu. RAGTIME, too--and would love the cut portions that deLaurentis cut for time...Emma Goldman, Houdini, etc.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I own 'Super 8' on Blu and I believe the digital copy was redeemed directly in iTunes. So, that one should earn a free upgrade to 4K HDR streaming in May. I'm not so sure I'll upgrade the other two.

FYI, 'My Fair Lady' is already available in 4K via iTunes. 'The Ten Commandments' HD is currently priced at $4.99 (purchase) in iTunes, so buying it now on the cheap might earn a free upgrade to 4K later.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t seen Super 8 since it came out on Blu-ray and can’t remember if I liked it enough to buy it.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The rights to "My Fair Lady" are owned by CBS, and since CBS is owned by Viacom, which also owns Paramount, Paramount is now distributing it.
"My Fair Lady" was released on LaserDisc by Fox, on DVD first by Warners, and then later Paramount, the Blu-ray by Paramount, and now the 4K

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
"My Fair Lady" was released on LaserDisc by Fox, on DVD first by Warners, and then later Paramount, the Blu-ray by Paramount, and now the 4K
From what I've read, CBS owned the rights to "MY Fair Lady" the Broadway musical, and when Jack Warner produced the film, a deal was made with CBS that WB would release the film for a certain number of years, like 40 or 50. When those rights elapsed in the beginning of the DVD era, they went back to CBS. (I believe Fox had a deal to distribute some WB product on Laserdisc.) Since CBS & Paramount were by then part of the same company, Paramount re-released "My Fair Lady" on DVD, then Blu, and now 4K.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen Super 8 since it came out on Blu-ray and can’t remember if I liked it enough to buy it.

'Super 8' cost me a speaker component in my Paradigm center channel. We were showing the film in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. Earlier in the day I had used the microphone supplied with my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver to calibrate the surround sound. I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to switch the speaker size to small, instead of the default (large). That meant the full frequency range was being sent to each speaker. Then, watching 'Super 8', I had the audio cranked up a bit too high and right after the very loud train wreck scene it became obvious that my center channel wasn't reproducing voices. Sending bass frequencies below 80hz to the center channel speaker (plus the too-high volume) blew out the speaker.

Fortunately, I was able to purchase a replacement component from Paradigm and I swapped them myself.

Mark

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
'Super 8' cost me a speaker component in my Paradigm center channel. We were showing the film in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. Earlier in the day I had used the microphone supplied with my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver to calibrate the surround sound. I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to switch the speaker size to small, instead of the default (large). That meant the full frequency range was being sent to each speaker. Then, watching 'Super 8', I had the audio cranked up a bit too high and right after the very loud train wreck scene it became obvious that my center channel wasn't reproducing voices. Sending bass frequencies below 80hz to the center channel speaker (plus the too-high volume) blew out the speaker.

Fortunately, I was able to purchase a replacement component from Paradigm and I swapped them myself.

Mark
sounds like It Blowed Up Good

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
From what I've read, CBS owned the rights to "MY Fair Lady" the Broadway musical, and when Jack Warner produced the film, a deal was made with CBS that WB would release the film for a certain number of years, like 40 or 50. When those rights elapsed in the beginning of the DVD era, they went back to CBS. (I believe Fox had a deal to distribute some WB product on Laserdisc.) Since CBS & Paramount were by then part of the same company, Paramount re-released "My Fair Lady" on DVD, then Blu, and now 4K.
CBS has always had home video rights, but they were licensed to Warner Home Video for what seemed to be a ten year deal specifically for DVD starting with the single disc release from 1998 and then the 2004 2-Disc Special Edition. CBS didn’t release it on their own on DVD until 2009. The laserdiscs were through CBS-FOX and later Fox Video (restored)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks