From specs alone...are these good speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewScofield, Sep 8, 2002.

1. AndrewScofield

Hi,
    I wanted to know what everybody thought about the specs of some speakers I am look at getting. They are already built 2-way. Here's most the info I know...

•Woofer: 8-inch driver with magnetically shielded mineral-filled polypropylene cone, high-temperature tolerant voice coil and damped rubber surround
    • Tweeter: 1-inch swivel-mounted silk dome incorporating magnetic shielding, ferro-fluid and internal damping technologies
    • Crossovers: 4th-order Linkwitz Riley
    • Input Connectors: XLR balanced, TRS balanced/ unbalanced
    • Input Sensitivity: 200 mV input produces full output with Input Sensitivity control at maximum
    • Input Impedance: 20k ohms balanced, 10k ohms unbalanced
    • Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, transient on/off, subsonic filter, external main fuse
    • S/N Ratio: > 100dB below full output, 20kHz bandwidth
    • Frequency Response: 33Hz - 22kHz
    • Crossover Frequency: 1.8kHz
    • Low Frequency Amplifier Power: 55W
    • High Frequency Amplifier Power: 45W
    • Indicator: Power On/Off indicator on front panel
    • Power Requirements: Factory programmed for either 115V-50/60Hz, 230V-50/60Hz or 100V-50/60Hz; powered via detachable 3-circuit line cord
    • Cabinet: Vinyl-laminated MDF
    • Dimension: 14.97 in. (h) x 9.5 in. (w) x 11.82 in. (d)

If you need more info I may be able to find it. Its a faceplate amp, built into the speaker. Thanks...

Andrew

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Of all the audio components not to evaluate using only "specs", the loudspeaker has to rank at the very top.

There are some many factors that are not addressed by any published specification that it boggles the mind that anyone could make a decision based solely on that.

In your case the problem is compounded by the fact that what you present to us are powered speakers.

If that wasn't enough, you give us no clue as to what your sound preferences are, what the acoustics of the room these speakers are going to be working is, etc, etc.

This must be a trick question.

3. AndrewScofield

I now have a better idea of what I need to specify. The speakers are made by m-audio, the PS-8B studiophile series. I'd like to build my setup around these speakers. But wanted to seek more opinions first on them first. They will be used for my HTPC. I will be using these speakers for a lot of audio & video editing. I watch movies DVDs on my pc. And more then anything they will be used to play music. But I wanted to get something optimal for both studio use and HT as well... with out paying for big studio $$$$. As far as acoustics in my room. I'm pretty sure they aren't great. My room is 10x10 with a 4x3 indent from a closet. So a slight L shaped room. I have a twin size bed, and a 6x6 L-shaped particle board desk. And a wall sized (6x4) paper atlas on the wall.

I understand I would have to work around the fact that they are already powered by maybe buying a preamp 5.1 receive if I were to use it to watch DVDs.

As far as my listening prefrences go I, again, will be using it mostly for music.

I'm looking for the perfect speakers for me. Please ask necessary questions if you can help me. Thanks again.

4. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

5. AndrewScofield

I'd hope that the graph on their website would be pretty accurate, since they are supposed to be a pro audio company. But even if it is slightly inaccurate yes those speakers do go for $1200, but the reason I'm also wanting to get these is becaus somebody is offereing them for $300 to me. I had a chance to look at them but haven't heard them yet. They are brand new sealed in the box from a M-Audio dealer. So for $300, I just wanted to see if I was getting a pretty good deal. Thanks for your quick replys!

6. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Somebody is offering brand new $1200 speakers for $300?

Do they drive a white van?

7. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, the list price on those speakers is $599.95. (See the m-audio web site.) If the person offering "new" ones for $300 is the same person who told you they listed for $1200, you should probably just thank him politely and walk away.

8. AndrewScofield

Oh... I guess I never looked at the website. I was just getting the $1200 from what kevitra said:

Well yea so what does everybody, who has tried it, think of studio monitors as home theater FL & FR speakers?? Has anybody tried it?

9. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Sorry - I didn't see 'pair' when I looked. $600/pair is a completely different game.