From paramount: tried tomb raider rom yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Blythe, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

I expect I'll get bumped to "Studio & Manufacturer Feedback" but I want to know if anyone has tried our cutting edge Tomb Raider online experience yet? Put the DVD into a PC's DVD-ROM drive, go to the online experience and tell me if this represents something new in the world of DVD. I challenge you to survive longer than I did (20 minutes).

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

For Mac Users:
    go to in web browser (Macromedia/QT rqd)
    file://localhost/Volumes/TOMB_RAIDER/common/win/index.htm
    Mac OS (8.6/X) Game Demo: http://www.aspyr.com/mini-sites/tr5/downloads.php
    Well, the Mac Demo wasn't included on the disc. However, I wish to say thank you for not intentionally filtering out Mac users who want to access the web materials as has recently been done by Lucas and Disney releases.
    Hopefully your studio and others will soon choose to go to a standards complaint HTML/Macromedia/Quicktime format for DVD-Rom and eliminate the Interactual Software altogether as it doesn't provide any service whatsoever and will be obsolete as soon as the OS upgrade appears.

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Martin,
    Don't have a dvd-rom drive (yet) but am awaiting the delivery of my new Dell notebook that does, so I'll get back to you.
    The only reason I replied to this thread was because I know you'll be reading this one, and I wanted to compliment your studio on an excellent job with Tomb Raider. I've viewed every bonus feature except the DVD-ROM content and the commentary and I must say the disk is phenomenal! I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the only addition I would make if I were the one making decisions would be DTS. But this is in no way a critique of the excellent Dolby Digital track.
    Thanks for your (company's) hard work!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jason Merrick on November 16, 2001 at 05:04 PM]

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Martin, sorry to go off topic, but I'm curious if the following was ever planned for Tomb Raider or not.
    [​IMG]
    I was really looking forward to that packaging.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Martin,
    I won't bump this to Studio and Manufacturer Feedback if you promise to build in full Mac support the next time Paramount does DVD-ROM.
    [​IMG]
    - Steve

6. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Hey, I got some responses, even if nobody's actually tried the DVD-ROM!
    Joseph & Steve: on Apple, someone should talk to Apple! I guess that's all I'd better say on that subject.
    Kyle: never seen it before but it's possibly an early layout by our designers. A two-disc set!!! Or it could be someone's wishful thinking.
    Jason: DTS, you know that may happen next year. We're seriously considering it for several titles.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Martin, I promise to try that feature as soon as I get the disc. I hope it's under the tree! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

8. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Martin,
    I have the DVD and a DVD-ROM Drive but I can't seem to get access to the "On-Line Experience" you're talking about. Any suggestions?
    By the way...I'm ready and willing to take the challenge.
    Addendum....never mind...I found the problem and I'm there now!
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Paul
    Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is
    plural possessive
    [Edited last by Paul E. Fox, II on November 16, 2001 at 09:29 PM]

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Martin:

In case Interactual is not telling you the truth. Here is all the code you need from Apple and put it in an applescript.

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am not a "game" person (never played the original game or even knew about it) but I've gone through all the special features and one easter egg, as well as the online experience. Only did a little of the game (as I said, not a game person), what's there is very good and quite seamless (I have a rather robust DSL, so the high bandwidth may have helped). I will let the real game people critique the game experience, but it's a very good job all around.

11. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Ok Martin...here's the update:
    Played twice...pretty cool and I could get a hooked if I let myself. First time for 15 minutes. Second time for around 25 - 30 minutes.
    The only problem is that there are a few places where I KNEW I answered correctly, but the game said I was wrong ("What's that I smell? 5AM)
    And, three times, the game didn't give me time to read what to do before it loaded up the challenge (the first time I got to the alignment of the planets and the seconde time, the clock/addition thing PLUS whatever I was supposed to do with the "All-Seeing Eye").. Haven't got a clue, but that's where I died right before I came back here to reply to you.
    All in all, pretty cool! DVD-ROM with that ACTUALLY gives the view something to DO!
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Paul
    Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is
    plural possessive

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Regarding Macs & DVD-rom access, check out this post at the Digital Bits .
    If there is a move to a "standards compliant" format for DVD-rom, I hope to god it doesn't include that awful Quicktime. But I would like to see standard HTML based content that doesn't require the even-more-awful Interactual software.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"
    [Edited last by Dave F on November 16, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Umm... guys, if you want to discuss the reasons for Mac not supporting DVD software, do it in another thread. I'm pretty sure that's not what this thread was intended for.
    Getting back on topic, I tried out the feature and found it pretty cool.