What's new

From Here to Eternity (1953) [US Release] (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
RLane777 said:
What are the chances the cover on Amazon UK will be the one for US release? Also, would this most likely get the 4k release?
Not sure...although it looks pretty standard and reasonable. Not sure what "Artwork TBC" means at the bottom of the image. (To be confirmed?)

81YVDaAxmXL._SL1500_.jpg

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
lukejosephchung said:
Sony's VP of Catalog Restorations Grover Crisp is notoriously meticulous about getting these right...if you read the press release, you'll see that the blu-ray's sourced from a 4k scan from the original camera negative...I believe it was shot in Academy ratio 1.37:1, however!!!
This is from Sony:

From Here to Eternity (1953) - Blu-rayRun Time: 118CC: YColor: BWScreen Format(s): FullscreenLanguage(s): English 5.1, English (US) Mono, German (Germany) Mono, French (Parisian) Mono, Spanish (Castilian) Mono, Spanish (Latin Am) Mono, Italian Mono, Portuguese (Brazil) Mono, Japanese MonoSubtitles(s): Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (Parisian), German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin Am), Swedish, Thai, TurkishAspect Ratio: 1.33Discs: 1

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Escapay said:
I wonder, will this include the full 44-minute version of "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It" or will it be the same 9-minute excerpt from the DVD. I'm hoping it's the full version, as I've never seen it before. But I can live with the 9-minute one, as it's miles ahead of the lousy 2.5-minute "The Making of From Here to Eternity" excerpt from The Lady with the Torch.
It looks like it's going to be the 9-minute version. On the SPHE press site it says "Excerpt from "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It."

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Richard Gallagher said:
It looks like it's going to be the 9-minute version. On the SPHE press site it says "Excerpt from "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It."
Thanks, Richard. I guess I should have expected that, but hopefully the "Eternal History" feature will more than make up for that.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Thanks for posting this, Ron!

Did you see the new supplements created for this "60th Anniversary Edition"? They include a new audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann (the director’s son) and actor Alvin Sargent, a pair of vintage featurettes (The Making of From Here to Eternity and Fred Zinnemann: As I See It) and an all-new ‘graphics in picture’ track called Eternal History filled with new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's gratifying to see Sony invest the time and money into new supplements for a catalog title like this!

Louis

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Filmgazer said:
Did you see the new supplements created for this "60th Anniversary Edition"? They include a new audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann (the director’s son) and actor Alvin Sargent, a pair of vintage featurettes (The Making of From Here to Eternity and Fred Zinnemann: As I See It) and an all-new ‘graphics in picture’ track called Eternal History filled with new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's gratifying to see Sony invest the time and money into new supplements for a catalog title like this!
New audio commentary? There was a commentary with Tim Zinnemann and Alvin Sargent on the DVD.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I see the sound has a 5.1 option. Wasn't this film released in certain important venues with a 3-track interlock stereo track? Those seem to be missing for most titles today, but I wonder if the 5.1 mix is derived from the 3-track or they had separated sound and music tracks, at least, to do a truer stereo presentation.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
John: it was available in three-track magnetic stereo to any theatre equipped with interlock stereo.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Filmgazer said:
Thanks for posting this, Ron!

Louis
I've found Sony's supplemental work on these classics to be pretty lackluster. Usually they're just a port of the DVD extras with a "graphics in picture" track thrown in. Was disappointed Lawrence of Arabia didn't get a commentary. At least it had 2 new interviews and a restoration featurette.

Likewise, it appears the only thing new they've created for this is the "graphics in picture" track. The video featurettes last a total of 12 minutes! This movie deserves a more substantial documentary.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
lukejosephchung said:
Sony's VP of Catalog Restorations Grover Crisp is notoriously meticulous about getting these right...if you read the press release, you'll see that the blu-ray's sourced from a 4k scan from the original camera negative...I believe it was shot in Academy ratio 1.37:1, however!!!
ON is gone. They scanned the IP in 4K.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Ray H said:
I've found Sony's supplemental work on these classics to be pretty lackluster. Usually they're just a port of the DVD extras with a "graphics in picture" track thrown in. Was disappointed Lawrence of Arabia didn't get a commentary. At least it had 2 new interviews and a restoration featurette.

Likewise, it appears the only thing new they've created for this is the "graphics in picture" track. The video featurettes last a total of 12 minutes! This movie deserves a more substantial documentary.
Agreed! Especially since both featurettes are excerpts from longer pieces. Ideally, I'd like the full versions of those (Fred Zinnemann: As I See It and The Lady with the Torch) along with a new documentary solely about From Here to Eternity.

I quite enjoy the picture-in-graphic tracks, but a proper documentary would still be nice to watch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw this film. I think the reason being is that the most famous clip of
Lancaster and Kerr rolling around on the beach, sort of promotes this film
(in my mind) as a sappy love story.

The Blu-ray went on sale for about $7 this week, so I couldn't pass up adding
it to my collection.

Just finished watching and was startled to find out that it's much more than
a sappy love story. :)

Really enjoyed this, particularly for the inclusion of such actors as Lancaster,
Sinatra, Borgnine and Warden.

Someone told me in the bargains thread it would be the best $7 I ever spent.

Agreed!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Hollywoodaholic said:
Great film. And if anyone else is interested, the Blu-ray is now 4.99 at Best Buy.
No wonder Sony is not interested in releasing Catalog titles themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks