FROM HERE 2 ETERNITY - gorgeous transfer, but anamorphic?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

The back of the package says "digitally mastered audio & anamorphic video", but it's full-screen (1.33:1). Is this possible?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Actually, now that I have seen it, I would stop short of saying "Gorgeous transfer". There is a lot of density fluctuation in the image as well as print speckling, although the former is a lot more distracting than the latter. It doesn't have the deep, rich grayscale of some of the more recent black and white Columbia transfers such as His Girl Friday and Lady from Shanghai, but neither has any version I have ever seen. That may be its intended look for all I know.
    The sound is noisy as well -- not in terms of hiss, which seems to have been filtered out, for the most part, but in terms of a clipped sound, sort of like a very mild version of the buzz you get on VHS tapes that won't track quite right.
    I haven't really looked at the extras, but unless they are spectacular, laserdisc owners probably don't need to upgrade this one, although it is a slight improvement. For VHS owners or non-owners, it's a no-brainer. This is From Here to Eternity, after all.
    I can only guess that the available pre-print elements for this film must be a mess, because Columbia has been doing some good work on other vintage titles such as the two I mentioned above.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 25, 2001 at 11:56 AM]

4. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

The extras aren't spectacular, but I found the dvd image to be improved over the most recent laserdisc (the difference between a B+ and A-). This is one of my favorite films, so it was worth upgrading. Others may feel differently.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After watching the movie and the extras I have to agree with Ken about the dvd presentation. I was somewhat disappointed based on previous Columbia's catelogue releases. Maybe it was state of the elements that contributed to my disappointment. However, I'm glad I have this great film in my library collection. Next up is "On the Waterfront"!
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------
    Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"