What's new

From Hell It Came (1957)- coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
View media item 3864
FROM HELL IT CAME (1957)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD50
B&W- 71 Minutes
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.78:1
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO- English
English SDH

Beware Tabonga! On a remote South Seas island, no one is safe from this hideous...and unique...monster. Tabonga is part man, part tree, all doom. Formerly an island prince, he was unjustly put to death by a witch doctor. Now he’s returned to life with roots, branches and a vengeance. Against natives. Against visiting American scientists who investigate the tree’s radioactive green sap. Against anyone unwise enough to expect a tree to stay put. A macabre medley of creature feature, Polynesian kitsch and Atomic Age cautionary tale, From Hell It Came is the killer-tree movie you woodn’t want to miss!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've read something about this movie, it's supposed to be baaad! Judging by the cover art on the dvd, this is one movie poster that doesn't outshine the movie. When will it be released?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow...so the Archives are now delving into the so-bad-it's-good sub-genre. I've no problem with with it, just very surprised.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If they have to give us one "so bad it's good" a month to offset five other titles. I can live with SIX releases per month. That would be heavenly

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
so does that mean we should be on the look out for Night of the Lepus, damn that would have made an awkward Easter release :P

Good one, Dana.

One of the titles I've seen often in requests to WBA is QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE, which fits quite easily into the "so-bad-it's-good" category.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow...so the Archives are now delving into the so-bad-it's-good sub-genre. I've no problem with with it, just very surprised.
True, but they are still releasing Ride the High Country, 36 Hours, The Rounders and Spencer's Mountain which are quality if not a few of them great films.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Here's Tabonga's cameo in the 1959 Allied Artists release ARSON FOR HIRE as Steve Brodie is chasing a bad guy through a movie studio.

Enjoy!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow! That's one where I used some of my Amazon "digital credits" to purchase a copy as I try to avoid MOD releases. Getting a physical copy pressed on BR will be superb!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tabonga happy ! This has to open up the doors for Attack of the 50ft Woman too
Well, this can open up the doors to both so bad its good and other B monster movies hopefully. The Green Slime, The Black Scorpion, The Giant Behemoth, The Cyclops, Queen of Outer Space are all on my hopeful list now :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I saw the Warner Archive transfer of this on Warner Archive Instant. It looks OK, and probably better than it has a right to look. But it wasn't shot great in the first place.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Warner Archive transfer of this on Warner Archive Instant. It looks OK, and probably better than it has a right to look. But it wasn't shot great in the first place.
This is a new 2017 transfer and remaster. The one on the streaming site was added there 3-4 years ago and was probably an upconvert from the DVD. This should look much better

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
True, but they are still releasing Ride the High Country, 36 Hours, The Rounders and Spencer's Mountain which are quality if not a few of them great films.

Absolutely. Just fun to see the Archives head into Kino territory a bit on Blu-ray. BTW, if you've not yet seen THE ROUNDERS, it is frequently hilarious (an ornery horse, especially). RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY is a fave of mine and I can't wait to see it, although I had been hoping for years that they'd box it along with PAT GARRETT, BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE, and a much-needed remaster of THE WILD BUNCH (4k, maybe?). 36 HOURS reveals its tell a bit early on, but it's a fine, quite original wartime thriller. I have no interest in SPENCER'S MOUNTAIN.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
This is a new 2017 transfer and remaster. The one on the streaming site was added there 3-4 years ago and was probably an upconvert from the DVD. This should look much better

The one I saw was definitely 1080p. I doubt they will bother retransferring a movie like this. I'm sure they will remaster it and clean it up digitally. But the problem wasn't the transfer. The transfer was fine. The problem was the cheap way the movie was lit and shot.

EDIT: I just checked the announcement on Facebook and they say that the Remastering is from 2017. They don't specify when the transfer was done. I'm sure it's the same one I saw.

Last edited:

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Tabonga's victims had to meet specific requirements. First, they had to stand still. Even a brisk walk will easily outdistance the tree demon. Also they had to remain standing. Tabonga, like most thick trees, cannot bend from the waist to pick a girl up. This movie is a hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks