What's new

From Hell/Historic question (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I noticed one thing about From Hell about historic accuracy in the last kill scene. In the historic pictures the headboard faces the right side of the screen and in the movie it seemed to go out of their way to put the headboard on the left hand side of the screen. Is this intentional or a mistake or is there some other explanation?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I know that the Hughes Brothers mention in one of the featurettes that the bed in the movie was not in the same position as it would have been in real life. If I remember correctly the bed (in real life) was behind the door, and in the movie they placed it across the room.

Blu

Screenwriter
That very well could be, I just know that the famous picture of the last victim is different than the way the movie depicts it. It is just curious at why they would change it because there are historical pictures that are well known to ripperologists to go from in accuracy.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
That very well could be, I just know that the famous picture of the last victim is different than the way the movie depicts it. It is just curious at why they would change it because there are historical pictures that are well known to ripperologists to go from in accuracy.
Dramatic effect? Quite possibly difficulty in shooting the scene for an accurate portrayal? Could be allot of reasons. It is a bit suprising considering allot of the detail they put into depicting the other deaths as accurately as possible.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If I recall correctly the commentary acknowledged this and said it was due to extreme difficulty in the logistics of photographing the scene with regard to camera and equipment placement in the confined space of the room. I loaned out my copy, so can't confirm the exact reason, but do recall it was for technical reasons and that they did admit it wasn't historically accurate.

In view of the extreme overall effort at accuracy in this movie, I'm prone to excuse this error.

This was one of my favorite films of the last few years, and the dvd presentation is truly excellent. I'm glad this much effort was put into the dvd in spite of the fact that the movie was not a huge box office blockbuster.

I like Films, and I also like Movies. This one manages to be both!

I look forward to more from the Hughes Bros.

BrentJ

Second Unit
I agree with this being an amazing dvd. However, I really didn't like the movie at all.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
For as accurate as they were apparently trying to be I just didn't think the movie had an authentic "feel".
From Hell IMO just wasn't creepy enough, I mean when I think of that last murder where historically he had more than a day to tear her up, I get chills. But the movie didn't make me feel scared or creeped out or even outraged at his hideous acts at all. A docu I saw a few years ago where they use the original crime photos sent more chills up and down my spine and made me genuinely hate the sick bastard than FH ever did. Also why do all these ripper film always have the whores look like super models?;) I doubt that these poor women EVER looked like their film counterparts.
I thought a film from a few years ago, The Ripper, had the same problem of not feeling authentic (& the super model hookers) but for some reason I thought it was a better film.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
The only "super-model" unfortunate in From Hell was the French girl. Even Heather Graham had a pretty down to earth quality about her, even if she did still look hot. As for the other girls, dude, they're FAR from super-model babes.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was actually referring to Heather Graham and Gabrielle Anwar (in The Ripper) as being a bit too "Super-modelish" in their appearance not in their attitudes, but in general I seriously doubt that many of the real whores of turn of the century London looked like their Hollywood counterparts (too many teeth and far too well scrubbed, even in From Hell they didn't look like the reality that can be seen in photos from around that time & that particular area in London).

Blu

Screenwriter
No doubt! The only hot looking hooker was the french girl (and Heather Graham) the others were very plain to average looking. There were very few hotties in this movie at all. In fact they really had Heather Graham dressed down to make her look less hot than she is!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, Kevin, I think you took my "down to earth" comment wrong. That's the only thing I can think of that I said that may have made one think I was referring to attitudes over appearance. That's not at all what I meant. By down to earth, I mean plain in features. Yeah yeah, she had red hair and lipstick, but all Irish girls do. ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah I realized that after I re-read your post but nonetheless what I'm saying is that compared to the reality in the late 19th century, these "Hollywood" hookers are supermodels.
Plus (as I said in my last post) I was really just refering to Heather (I think she was just too well scrubbed for the time & place) & Anwar since they were models & IMO retained that "strike a pose" undertone that I couldn't suspend belief for. It is like this with most hollywood "hookers wit da heart o'gold" characters but for a film that claims to be accurate they IMO stand out like a sore thumb.
If I sullied the good name of "super models"...um...I apologize? ;)
Also I have to say that Heather had the worst red head dye-job/wig that I have seen in awhile. Did NOT fit her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks