From Hell DVD Details

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd stone, Mar 1, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

from dvd.ign.com

February 28, 2002 - Just announced from Fox is a two-disc special edition of From Hell for May 27. The Jack the Ripper flick starring Johnny Depp and Heather Graham will arrive complete with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound mixes and a load of special features:

Disc One:

Commentay by Albert and Allen Hughes.

Disc Two:

Four featurettes including the HBO Special "A View From Hell".

23 Deleted Scenes.

Alternate ending.

Interactive documentary.

Jack the Ripper: 6 Degrees of Separation - a making of documentary.

Image gallery.

Storyboard comparisons.

Mini-documentary "tour of the White Chapel".

-- Jeremy Conrad

I never saw this movie, but like johnny depp and loved the ninth gate. What do you all think?

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I liked the movie very much.. it was more of a period peice that was easy to follow.. it was much more serious then sleepy hollow. the look of the film borrowed from coppola's dracula movie from 1992.. but did a much better job..

it takes time to tell the story.. not action packed like die hard or star wars.

JACOB

3. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Weeeelll. After reading the masterpiece that is from hell, the film was a complete joke. awful script, butchered by the hughes brothers..the fantastic actors were wasted, .BUT...... it looked great, and .. it was a laugh to watch. maybe the deleted scenes will make the picture seem a tad redeemable.. oh, I might rent it , or buy it ..or not...it was painful to watch... aragaharahgh!!!

4. Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone here read the graphic novel by Alan Moore? How is the movie compared to it? If it was faithful to the book (which was great), I might buy it... otherwise it'll probably be a rental for me.

5. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

DannyS and I should be on a TV show together.

I made myself miss the trailers and promos for this flick so I could go in without any preconceptions about how the Jack the Ripper story was going to be portrayed by the Hughes Brothers. I was pleasantly surprised by the film and think both the acting and the plot were well done.

Those going in with a very analytical eye will find things to point out, but those watching for entertainment will be entertained. I will buy it to cast my vote for Johnny Depp and to see what the alternate ending might have been.

Bryan

6. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

This is a great big disappointment of a film. Really misguided in some parts. What's funny is that as gory as it aims to be it's as if all of it is in vain. The horrors of this story become circumstantial and relegated only to the secondary characters and victims while Johnny Depp and Heather Graham (who is a train wreck in this film, terribly miscast) seem to be staring at it from their trailers. It wants it both ways. Graham plays a hooker during industrial age London, yet we don't really see her participate in any "activities". This is a film that had its balls cut off.

7. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I was hoping they would have the Marilyn Manson score on the DVD. His version of the music is just so damn creepy.

8. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I absolutely loved this film and the DVD sounds fantastic. Cant wait!

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Another title to add to my buying list....before FOX turns it into a single disc.

10. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it called " based on a novel by...".

Doesn't this include also the freedom of beeing creativ and isn't this what filmmaking is all about. I think that otherwise this would be called documentary.

I never judge a film based on a book. This is not what it is about. Either the film is entertaining or not. Just as simple as that.

11. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I have read just about every Jack the Ripper book there is and can tell you that this film is really, rather accurate in the murders and what the crime scenes looked like.

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

13. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

May 27 is a Monday - is that correct?

14. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I thought From Hell was a damn good film and I will be there to get this DVD on its release date.

16. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

My girlfriend enjoyed this film quite a lot. So I am under obligation to make this a purchase. I thought it was quite an interesting thriller and enjoyable. Not the best obviously. Though I will admit it was visually stunning and Johnny Depp and Ian Holm were fantastic as always. Will have to pick it up.

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

One of the better Ripper films is "Murder By Decree". Would be nice to see this out on DVD. In the mean time I'll hold on to my Magnetic Video LD!

18. James T

James T Screenwriter

ressurecting an old thread to answer John Co's question.

19. PaulP

PaulP Producer

On the contrary I thought the extras were very informative and made me appreciate the film a lot more.

20. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I just rented this last week (2 disc) and thought the special features were worth a look once, but not a lot of repeatability. The Production Design feature was great (although a few things were repeated in the movie's "making of" feature) and the look at the graphic novel was good. I have seen at least one other film use the b&w/color transistion to show where the deleted scenes would have been and wish every film did this!