What's new

From Hell - any good? (1 Viewer)

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
BestBuy is having their Preferred Customer Weekend, so I'm thinking this might be one of the DVDs I choose. Is it worth a blind buy?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i bought it blind when it streeted.
i'm not a big fan of the slasher genre.
i thought it was great.
i have a friend who is a big fan of Halloween 1-whatever, and Nightmare on elm street 1-xx.
he hated FH.

i was just watching Murder By Decree this morning (another blind buy) and as it was in the middle of the third act i thought to myself how much more i liked From Hell.
they shared quite a few similarities that i wasn't expecting.

i'm not a big peruser of supplemental materials, but in this case, after MBD was onver, i was looking forward to diving into some of the factual ripper material on the 2 disc FH set (make sure you know which one you're buying, its also out in a bare bones single disc version about $7 cheaper).

if that wasn't enough, the a/v is short list reference quality. its up there with the best discs i have ever seen on my system.

i was very happy with the purchase, but its obviously not for everybody.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I can't really fault the disc on any level, but the film was a different story.

It's visually ravishing and occasionally interesting, but generally unsatisfying, cliched and ultimately a failure.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I didn't think very much of the film. Had a great transfer and soundtrack though.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I thought the film was fun, once you got past Heather Graham's performance and awful accent. The DVD, however, is great. That said, the DVD is more a rental than a purchase for me.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
DVD is more of a rental for me, too.
I did, however, buy the 2 disc special edition,
now that it is out of print, and only the 1 disc
version is in print, much like the Planet of the Apes
remake DVD.

I figure I don't watch it in the next 12 months, I'll
send it off to eBay. MAYBE by then I'll be able to get
atleast what I paid for it.

:)

Mark

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I thought it was great. I really enjoyed it and I bought it on our very own Ron Epstein's recommendation. THe movie was pretty good, but the real winner is the documentary on DISC 2 (if you can find this edition). It is almost two hours long and it has tons of branching material. The Hughes Brothers were awesome.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i haven't seen Murder by Decree in years, but i was struck when watching From GHell how similar it was plotwise to that earlier movie. that disappointed me a lot, as i expected more from it, a different take on the ripper story, not a re-hash of another movie.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
FH didn't bring anything new to the table, and as I had researched the Ripper story for a script of my own, it didn't do anything for me overall. It was a good looking disc, though.

Greg Black

Second Unit
A very atmospheric film; nice twist on the old Jack The Ripper story. Definetely has an odd feel to the movie, but in a good way. I would recommend it.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
I own it and I am trying to trade it, if you want a good thriller with Johnny Depp try "The Ninth Gate" anamorphic 2.35:1 with 5.1 and English Dolby Surround, since buying it I have watched over 75 times now. I was reading another home forum on this movie and got to know what to look for, bought it and have been satisfied ever since.

Off/topic Frank Langella who played drac Dracula 1979, is a leading man in "The Ninth Gate".

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i cannot recommend a blind purchase on this. it's an okay flick, but it's all fluff and no stuff...

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that it is most definitely a rental. Nice sound, image quality quite good, but the plot is pretty thin. I just rented it last night and have spent this morning watching some of the extras (I rented the 2-disc set). I have to say, the documentary is one of the worst I've ever seen. It is so badly made. There are parts with large portions of text on the screen while narration is going on. You pretty much have to pause the screen, read the text, then re-play to hear the narration, as reading and listening to the narration is difficult. Most of the doc consists of a guy turning pages in a book of illustrations with the camera panning back and forth and zooming in. I will say, though, that I learned more from the documentary then the film. A lot of the key points don't come across in the film as well as they do in the documentary.

Shaun

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
If your at all interested in Jack the Ripper, give the disc a spin. Its a real treat. Movie is really good.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it. I bought it blind & used for $10-12. I wasn't overly thrilled with the storyline as it pertains to Jack the Ripper--I think it's one of the least plausible theories ever offered--but on its own it's an enjoyable movie.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
just another opinion I bought it blind watched it and did`nt think much of it...I watched it again a few months later and really enjoyed it sooooo...........

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Read the comic book that the movie is based on. The movie pales in comparison.
"Pales" isn't a strong enough word for it :)

How much info on the comic does the dvd offer? I read a few reviews of the dvd when it came out but none of them mentioned the extras going into any real depth on the comic. At least not beyond the usual "This is the source material. It's really good, which is why we made this movie out of it." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks