(from gregstaten): Who designed your Home Theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Jan 29, 2002.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Here's a suggestion from one of our members, Greg Staten. I'm opening this to see how the discussion goes. If you find it helpful, there will be more as long as we don't overdo it.
    Enjoy!

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Great idea for a quick poll, Greg.

Actually, I'm just starting construction on my theater this week! My design was inspired by our own Robert A. Fowkes' room as well as some of the simpler designs I've seen on the 'net. Since it's starting out as an unfinished basement, I'm doing most of the work myself. We rent this house, so I get to practice my carpentry skills on someone else's property! I've already received my Studio Experience 13HD projector and it's burning a hole in its carton waiting to be installed, so I've got to get cracking.

3. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I started sketching ideas soon after we moved into our new house back in 1994. So what if it took 7 years to make it happen!

4. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

"Designed by myself" with a lot of help from the fine folks of HTF [​IMG]
    ~Kurt
    Great idea for a first pole.

5. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Designed by me of course but someone else did the installation.

I just told him what I wanted!

6. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

My was designed by Dennis Erskine of Design Cinema. Construction begins on February 11th (two days after my birthday).
    I considered doing it myself and even spoke with an architect about it. Ultimately, I decided to go with an expert who could do the acoustic treatment right. Plus, I got a gorgeous looking design out of it. (Construction web site going up soon!)
    -greg

7. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Greg and Chip,
    I would be most interested to hear more regarding your HT design decision process that led you to choose Dennis. See, I'm trying to decide if I should hire a professional design consultant such as Dennis, and one side of me says "if you're going to do this right, hire a consultant so you don't miss any details that may degrade the performance of the theater." My understanding is that his plans leave nothing to chance, so I'd feel good knowing I'd be designing it the right way for best possible acoustic and video quality, in addition to making the room look very professional. Of course, the other side of me says, "you can save the money, design your own, and go the DIY route with the help of your friends at HTF." And, I don't need the room to be too fancy - don't need columns, etc.
    I'm probably a year away from "ground-breaking" so I have time, but I'm trying to get myself organized now. This has been on my mind for some time, and frankly, I vascillate on the issue depending on the day!
    In another thread RAF mentions how the polls are good because they can lead into discussions like this, but if my questions are too far off-topic for this thread, I apologize. Perhaps it can be discussed in another thread if that's the case. [​IMG]

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

10. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

I voted "designed by me"; but in all honesty, while I spent a lot of time designing and drawing the plans, my contractor made several changes that I wouldn't have considered and I couldn't be happier; someday I'm going to post some pics.

11. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

12. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Wow, Chip. You're just down the street. Are you using Showtime Acoustics as well? If so, you're welcome to come up and meet them in person when they do my place (probably mid-late March).

And you're Feb 9 as well, eh? What are the odds?

-greg

13. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

(Thread has been unstuck - so it will now float down into obscurity unless there are more responses.)