What's new

(from gregstaten): Who designed your Home Theater? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Here's a suggestion from one of our members, Greg Staten. I'm opening this to see how the discussion goes. If you find it helpful, there will be more as long as we don't overdo it.
Enjoy!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Great idea for a quick poll, Greg.

Actually, I'm just starting construction on my theater this week! My design was inspired by our own Robert A. Fowkes' room as well as some of the simpler designs I've seen on the 'net. Since it's starting out as an unfinished basement, I'm doing most of the work myself. We rent this house, so I get to practice my carpentry skills on someone else's property! I've already received my Studio Experience 13HD projector and it's burning a hole in its carton waiting to be installed, so I've got to get cracking.

RogerB

Second Unit
I started sketching ideas soon after we moved into our new house back in 1994. So what if it took 7 years to make it happen!

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
"Designed by myself" with a lot of help from the fine folks of HTF :)
~Kurt
Great idea for a first pole.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Designed by me of course but someone else did the installation.

I just told him what I wanted!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
My was designed by Dennis Erskine of Design Cinema. Construction begins on February 11th (two days after my birthday).
I considered doing it myself and even spoke with an architect about it. Ultimately, I decided to go with an expert who could do the acoustic treatment right. Plus, I got a gorgeous looking design out of it. (Construction web site going up soon!)
-greg

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
My was designed by Dennis Erskine of Design Cinema. Construction begins on February 11th (two days after my birthday).
Second vote here for Dennis and Design Cinema.

I only wish my construction was beginning on February 11th. (since that would be two days after MY birthday as well! Happy Birthday Greg!)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Greg and Chip,
I would be most interested to hear more regarding your HT design decision process that led you to choose Dennis. See, I'm trying to decide if I should hire a professional design consultant such as Dennis, and one side of me says "if you're going to do this right, hire a consultant so you don't miss any details that may degrade the performance of the theater." My understanding is that his plans leave nothing to chance, so I'd feel good knowing I'd be designing it the right way for best possible acoustic and video quality, in addition to making the room look very professional. Of course, the other side of me says, "you can save the money, design your own, and go the DIY route with the help of your friends at HTF." And, I don't need the room to be too fancy - don't need columns, etc.
I'm probably a year away from "ground-breaking" so I have time, but I'm trying to get myself organized now. This has been on my mind for some time, and frankly, I vascillate on the issue depending on the day!
In another thread RAF mentions how the polls are good because they can lead into discussions like this, but if my questions are too far off-topic for this thread, I apologize. Perhaps it can be discussed in another thread if that's the case. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In another thread RAF mentions how the polls are good because they can lead into discussions like this, but if my questions are too far off-topic for this thread, I apologize. Perhaps it can be discussed in another thread if that's the case.
Scott,
You bring up an interesting point. On the one hand we usually encourage keeping the number of topics down by avoiding multiple postings on the same exact thing. But in this case, the discussion regarding Dennis Erskine (which grew out of the general poll question here) is certainly appropriate to start a new thread.
It's your call. I would imagine that if you really want to pursue this you should start a thread with the specifics clearly in the title. Otherwise you run the risk of some of your intended audience not seeing it since most people don't keep coming back to polls other than to check the current status.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
I voted "designed by me"; but in all honesty, while I spent a lot of time designing and drawing the plans, my contractor made several changes that I wouldn't have considered and I couldn't be happier; someday I'm going to post some pics.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
It's your call. I would imagine that if you really want to pursue this you should start a thread with the specifics clearly in the title. Otherwise you run the risk of some of your intended audience not seeing it since most people don't keep coming back to polls other than to check the current status.
Thanks RAF. :emoji_thumbsup: I think I'm going to start a new thread in this forum to discuss it so we can stay a little more on-topic here. Also, you're probably right in that the topic might get more attention if it were in its own thread.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Wow, Chip. You're just down the street. Are you using Showtime Acoustics as well? If so, you're welcome to come up and meet them in person when they do my place (probably mid-late March).

And you're Feb 9 as well, eh? What are the odds?

-greg

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
(Thread has been unstuck - so it will now float down into obscurity unless there are more responses.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks