From Denon 3300 to Sony 4ES or power amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Anson, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I'm in the process of building a dedicated theater room. Most of my $ is going to the room itself, but I have set aside $600-700 to upgrade my audio source. I'm running 5.1 with Klipsch reference series speakers and an SVS sub. I ultimately want to end up with a 7.1 system with dedicated power amplification.

What do you all think will be a more enjoyable upgrade?
    (1) Using the Denon 3300 as a pre/pro and immediately adding a 5-channel power amp (thinking about the AMC 2N001-5). Down the road I could get a 7.1 pre/pro to replace the 3300 and rear center channel speakers.
    or
    (2) Getting a new receiver (such as the Sony 4ES) to replace the Denon 3300. Down the road I could get a power amp and rear center channel speakers.

Thanks in advance,
    Chad

2. Shane G

Shane G Agent

I would stick with plan (1) and keep the 3300, and look at buying a 7 channel amp instead of the 5 channel.
    That way you can use the extra amp channels to bi-amp your mains, and later down the road when you want to get into 7.1 you will have the extra channels already.
    Buying a Sony receiver now and an amp later doesn't seem like the best use of your money. And who knows some new format will have come along that will make reciever obsolete too. For the next few years your old Denon should work fine (unless you just have to have 7.1 now).

3. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Klipsch are efficient speakers, and it is doubtful a separate power amp would instigate a drastic change in your sound.
    I say go for the 4ES, as the improvement will be much more than subtle, expecially the practical aspect of it (the 4ES is fully customizable and has so many options it's almost scary...). IMO, it will work very well as a pre/pro later on.

4. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I'd vote for the second option, and the Sony. Excellent receiver, and would make a great pre/pro later.

5. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

In my opinion, the 5es is the best of the lot, however, since it difficult to get them, your next choice is the 4es. The 4es is the replacement of the 5es. It is sonically superior to the others.

Beautiful sound is in the ears of the beholder!!!

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Denon 3803 with Klipsch rf7's,I know that sounds good!

7. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

It sounds like the majority opinion is to go with a 7.1 receiver that could be used as a pre/pro down the road given the efficient nature of the Klipsch speakers. It looks like there is some debate (especially at looking at several other threads) as to which receiver would be "best."

One follow up question for the Denon-advocates, how much of a difference is there between the 3803 and 3802?

I have to admit that I'm tempted to try the Sony just to hear something different.

8. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

The Sony receiver is an awesome receiver and it will do 7.1 NOW, while you save up for the high dollar seperates amp....this means youcan buy the 7.1 speakers, play it with the SONY then get your $2000 7 ch amp and see if it was worth!!! (do this with a loaner first!!).

Its extremely versatile and has plenty of power and will make you smile a lot!

Its has 96/24 DTS NOW, has a serial port for updates, I have used this once already.

Has two multichannel set of connections!

And it does not take a second mortgage to buy it!!

Oh...did I mention is sounds great!

Best of Luck!
    Alex

9. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=126166

Ultimately, your best bet is to go in and have a listen for yourself. But regardless, using the unit to step into separates certainly sounds interesting. Let us know what you decide.

10. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Thank you all for your input!

I think that I will buy the Sony 4ES and see how it sounds compared to my existing Denon 3300. Am I right in assuming that a 3803/3802 will sound similar to the 3300 sans all the extra features? I may also pick up an HK525 from Circuit City to add to the mix.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to audition them all.

Thanks again!

11. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Chad, I am using 2 AMC 2100-N 150W X 3 amps and they are absolutely wonderful. I had originally matched these amps to a Proton processor but ended up selling the processor which was replaced by the 4ES.