What's new

From Cedia: Don't count Blu-Ray out yet.... (1 Viewer)

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
dont forget to leave out... Who Purchases Computer and Video Games? :
Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of computer games and 83% of people who make the actual purchase of video games are 18 years of age or older. The average age of the game buyer is 40 years old.

I doesnt matter who plays the game, its whos got the money to buy... You cant really play unless you buy one first...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Say what. It doesn't matter who plays. You have got to be kidding.

If the buyer is not the player, he is usally buying on the recommendation of the player. It is the player who will be the major factor in what the console will be used for.

Bottom line is, only time will tell. All of this discusion is no more than fun banter and will have little meaning this time next year. By then, the War over consoles (both Video Games and High Def players) will have some real numbers to support long term projections. In the mean time, I think I will watch Serenity (in HD of course).

In the mean time, I think it is about time to end this thread of the conversation. It is obvious that I will not convince you, and you certainly will not me. But, it was fun.

Thomas Eisenmann

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
If you do not buy a PS3, then you can not play!!! yes, you can visit a friends house but bottom line is that you did not buy a PS3. If you are not a consumer, you have no voice. Money talks much louder than any forum.

I live in Houston, I was here when the Oilers left for Tennessee. The local newspaper was ranting, every local TV station was ranting. The NFL analyst were complaining about how owners are not loyal to cities... but when it came for a rally to save the Oilers... 40 people showed up... And now the Oilers are known as the Titans.

You can be a buyer and not the end consumer. and you do not have to be influenced by the end consumer. Parents make choices for their children all the time, they feed them healthy food against the childs wishes. 40 year old men can buy the PS3 and have thier 10 year old son play.

If you want another good example, look at the home computer a few years back. Parents bought a PC of thier choice, but the kids ended up using is the majority of the time with Blog sites and Instant Messenger. How many adults are not longer users of thier computers that they bought?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I have no plans on buying a PS3 console I would still want to see it succeed. I use my pc for gaming and do not personally own any console game systems. My goal is centered around my HT system and all my available resources have been going into updating and upgrading it. Thats not to say that if I start making more money I would not consider buying a PS3 system. I actually do not see PS3 having a win or loose influence on the Bluray format. Bluray can still fail even if PS3 ends up being a huge hit. And vise versa that if PS3 tanks, it is allways possible that Bluray can survive without PS3. The added bonus is that PS3 is made to compliment Bluray and hopefully get people to buy Bluray movies. Only time will tell if this stratagy works, I guess we will find out this same time next year if it worked or not?

But especially with gen2 HD-DVD players slated to hit the market soon, Sony more than even has its work cut out for them. They will need to convince the average consumer that Bluray is the right HD choice. They will have to also bring down the cost of players or it will be very difficult for Bluray to survive in todays retail enviroment were many people just want it cheap and if they get enough titles and a cheap price, thats what they will buy. I am very interested to see how Bluray's actuall rollout ends up attracting adoubters or pushes them away? One way or another it looks like the consumer will have a 1080p HD format available to them. Wether its HD-DVD or Bluray its up to them, hopefully once there is a winner to this format war the average consumer will buy it. I see no reason why all studios would not jump on board with the winning format. And I also see no reason why equipment manufacturers would not line up and start offering a much wider offering of players and other products to go along with the HD players.

I for one am very excited about what HD does for the movie viewing and listening exsperience.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am here out in Los Angeles wrapping up a 2-day summit
with Fox Home Entertainment.

A lot of really positive talk about the P3 console and its
ability to play Blu-Ray titles.

Based on the talk here (and don't discount the fact that Fox
is promoting the BR format), the outlook on P3 is very good.

If all goes as planned, there's even some additional cool stuff
that P3 buyers will be very happy about -- but wait for that
information to be officially announced.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
Is that secret the inclusion of HDMI on all PS3?
So that means the $499 version is a viable options for HT...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The inclusion of a cable would be nice but I'm not sure it would make me jump for joy. I expect that the rumors of Sony including a free BD movie are more than likely true. Possibly a Fox title? :)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I've read that Sony is giving away THE FIFTH ELEMENT with their standalone player. I sure hope they don't give that to the scores of folks who are getting the PS3!:eek:

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Just three months ago, I made it no secret that I believed HD-DVD was just refusing too see the writing on the wall: that it should just accept the inevitable. Blu-ray has come out of the gate with a roar and nothing can stop it, right? Fast forward to now. I am a very happy HD-A1 owner, and am enjoying today what Blu-ray has been promising from the start and has yet to deliver. Don't get me wrong, if Blu-ray gets their cr*p together, I will be buying a BR player as well, and the HD-A1 I do have is only a stop-gap until Denon or Marantz comes on-board (in whatever form that may take). If, as many are now thinking, both formats coexist for several years, and maybe until it is supplanted by yet another format (3TB/disc anyone? - it's coming), I will look forward to a high-end dual player in a couple of years, max. I don't harbor any ill-wishes to either side, I just know that HD-DVD has delivered in PQ what Blu-ray has so far only promised (Vapor-ware). I will believe that Fox and Disney's support will bouy Blu-Ray past HD-DVD when I see it - in the mainstream. Of course the demos at CEA and CEDIA will look great (they are, after all, optimized demos meant to impress), but that's not the same as the end-user product. And besides, Disney and Fox were also the leading proponents of another product developed by Circus City a while back.... I remember a lot of the same PR rhetoric coming from both of them with regards to DivX. And to top it off, this is all being spearheaded by the intellectual giants at Sony...?!? Needless to say I don't have a lot of faith in their decision making processes...

Now, once Blu-ray players start coming from some of the big boys (and no, IMO Sony is not one of them, but in all fairness, neither is Toshiba) like Pioneer, Denon, or Marantz, then we could very well see the tide turn. But not before.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
AMEN. Tell them there's a legion of HTF members with big fat wallets salivating over the possibility of Fox titles on HD-DVD. :)

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Yes, count me as one of those salivating fans. I have bought an awful lot of Fox DVD's over the last couple of years and I wouldn't mind sinking a few dollars into HD-DVD product if they ever choose to go that direction.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From all counts of what I saw this week, Fox is far from
considering HD-DVD at this time.

To be honest, with all the ballyhooing they are doing about
their Blu-Ray launch, I didn't even feel it was appropriate to
suggest HD-DVD to them.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I plan to make the PS3 my first BD player. The cheaper of the two units!

My thought is that when it's time to upgrade to a new BD player the PS3 will hold some decent resale value making it an ideal early-adoptor choice to get my foot in the BD door.

Cheech

Grip
Real Name
Rich

I would honestly wait until the PQ/audio reports start rolling in. Describing the launch PS2's DVD playback as "horrific" and "sub-VHS" would be too kind. If you're going to buy a PS3 to game, no problem, but as a standalone player I would hang onto my $500 until I knew for sure it delivered.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I've already received a few insider-reports that the PS3 performs very well as a BD player in terms of PQ and audio performance. Naturally, I wait with baited breath to see what the videophiles at AVS have to say once they get a hold of it. But so far, the indications are good.

There is no comparison between the PS2's DVD performance and the PS3's BD performance. The design and development of these two machines in terms of DVD/BD appications is entirely different. And so far the industry tips by those (non Sony) insiders who've spent time with the PS3 confirm that the differences in performance (between the PS2/DVD and PS3/BD) parallel this differing design strategies.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's my plan too.

Since two days I'm the proud owner of a Toshiba HD-A1. My next purchase will be a PS3 (with remote), unless some brand new, unexpected and everything-changing information comes up.
The PS3 will nicely fill in the BD-interregnum, until a solid solution for a player (here in Europe!) will be present.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks