What's new

??? from a noob about 1080p (1 Viewer)

sambuka_w

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Hey all,

I have already searched through your forums before I'm asking this b/c I know how annoying it is to have people ask the same thing over and over again, wasting time in the forums.

Anyway,

I am seriously looking to purchase a new 61" JVC LCoS 1080p (HD617BP7). I'm thinking that the guy at best buy was an idiot or at least a moron b/c all he could do is say "just look at the picture, i dont know"

My question is this: If I were to purchase a 1080p tv, I wouldn't have any problems watching normal tv would I? What if an OTA channel broadcasts in 720? Would I lose anything? I have heard that if you dont have 1080p going to the tv you can't watch it. I have heard that the black levels aren't as good as a DLP. I am mainly going to be watching movies, playing games, and using it as a computer monitor.

Am I making a wise choice?

ANY responses would be great!!! THANKS!!!!!!:)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Sam - According to BestBuy, the HD617BP7 does not support 1080p. It has a native resolution of 1280 x 720p. I would suggest looking at a higher model such as the HD61FN97, which is a phenominal set.

The FN97 will indeed accept 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p. You will have no problems watching OTA broadcasts in 720p.

Personally I find LCoS sets to be far superior to DLP. That being said, you may be disappointed with SD picture quality, as you may see all of the artifacts in the SD broadcasts.

Definately consider the HD61FN97, this is a far superior set to the HD617BP7.

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator

Not true.

As far as I know most HD broadcasts are 1080i, not 720p anyway. It just depends on the standard individual broadcast companies set as their HD broadcast standard.

Either way, your set will do the frame conversion internally and display in its native resolution.

I don't know all that much about the JVC LCoS set other than some people really like it while others seem ambivalent to it. I've heard this silicon based technology is great with blacks though.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you end up with a 1080p TV without 1080p input you can still watch everything and most likely everything except distant broadcasts will still look stunning, but you might not be able to make all the improvments you might like when the WAF (HAF for you ladies) changes for the better.

I'm sure all the non-CRT HDTV's accept 720p, and it is an easy matter to convert that to 1080p if applicable. But 1080i to 720p is equally difficult as 1080i to 1080p.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/hdtvnot.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks