What's new

From a 2 channel HT system, what next: subwoofer or center channel speaker? (1 Viewer)

csintegrators

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Alvarado
Originally Posted by David Willow

Hi Russell,

It is not the distance you sit from the sub that matters, it is the size of the room. With subs, there's no substitute for size. Having said that, I would still recommend the SVS.

Partially correct, the room size (height, width, and length) and distance from sub matter. Think about it. If you stand right in front of a sub and slowly walk around the room, you will hear a difference. on the other hand, if you sit down and listen to your sub, then go move it over 2 feet and sit back down, you will hear a difference as well. Or try sitting at either end of a couch and note the sound. This is because the sound waves get spaced further apart the further you are from the sub, making them sound deeper when they hit your ear (don't forget wall reverb, like everyone else said, carpet that floor and put stuff on the walls to help get rid of it). You will never get it perfect through out the entire room. There are way to many variables and harmonic nulls in a room. you could spend thousands of dollars and/or hours to try to get it right for the whole room. I suggest picking a sweet spot and calibrating that spot for whichever sub you get, you paid for it, you should get the best spot. Don't be fooled by size, bigger does not always mean better. The Sunfire 8'' Super Junior is one of the best subs I have installed, or def tech Supercube III. My suggestion is to get the Sunfire HRS-10. It's in the $600 range and has a tight recoil so it doesn't get all sloppy and wobbly at the top.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Victor,

What you are describing has more to do with the placement of the sub and your seating. Standing waves occur at different frequencies and different places in different sized rooms. Adding EQ and Bass Traps help eliminate some of these issues. Still, the size of your room is the determining factor in how much sub you need.

What is sloppy and wobbly at the top????

Nothing against the Sunfire, but for my money I'm going with SVS every time. ED is also on my list as well as HSU and AXIOM.

For $600 I'm getting this one: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

AkamaiGuy

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
$600 is just too high for me at this stage of the game. I really need to keep the sub in the $450-500 range (although if the Polk sub I mentioned earlier which is priced at $563 down from $1300 on Amazon is a steal for the quality level, I'd maybe stretch for that).

David, I see that Axiom has a sub called the EP125 that's $375. Would that be sufficient for my 12'x9' room (in which I don't need the volume to ever be super loud - maybe 7-8 on a 10pt relative scale)? It'd be great to save $100 and put that towards a center speaker if the EP125 is good enough.

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sal
Hello,

I'm not sure which Polk Sub you were looking at but the Polk Sub I purchased was in that same price range $500 and if it's the same model# you will not be disappointed it's a solid subwoofer.

I keep my Subs master volume at a quarter and it fills the room superbly. I'm not truly positive the room size though.

I tried going cheaper at first in the $200 range and the subs would either breakup to fill the room or just did not deliver enough bass. I tried 2 different subs in the $200 range both went back before I said heck with it and purchased the Polk.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by smithb

And since the OP hasn't mentioned anything about a Condo, why should that even come into the discussion?

Because people live in condos, and I was saying that people can live without a subwoofer. People in condos was the example of a set of people.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Originally Posted by Will_B
Because people live in condos, and I was saying that people can live without a subwoofer. People in condos was the example of a set of people.

I would say that is more of living without because you have to not because you want to. And the reason I questioned it is because it didn't seem relevant to what the Op was asking given the constraints he provided.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by AkamaiGuy

David, I see that Axiom has a sub called the EP125 that's $375. Would that be sufficient for my 12'x9' room (in which I don't need the volume to ever be super loud - maybe 7-8 on a 10pt relative scale)? It'd be great to save $100 and put that towards a center speaker if the EP125 is good enough.

Sure it would work but it won't perform like the SVS. The SVS will play lower and louder (flatter). Personally, I would still go for the SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks