Fritz Lang's M: Criterion - review and screen caps

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gil Jawetz, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13541

This edition is really remarkable. I've read the DVD Beaver comparison that finds some slight cropping in some parts, but the Eureka release without (or with less) cropping doesn't look nearly as good as the new Criterion.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I have mine on order. I already own the Eureka version.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Gil, thanks for the excellent review. I've been hyped for this release ever since I heard it was going to happen, and it's great to see that it's a home-run.

4. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Very nice work, Gil! [​IMG]

Although I have the Eureka, and enjoyed the set a great deal, I did find the actual transfer to look very"digital" and shimmery. The Criterion looks the ideal mix of detail and lack of artifice. I've already ordered it!

5. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Actually, the Eureka picture is incredible. There is really not a significant amount of difference between the two, save the cropping. So, when you say "not nearly as good as the Criterion" t'ain't so.

6. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

That's cool. What I saw of the Eureka looked overly sharpened to my eye, but it was certainly better than, say, the old Criterion. I found the new Criterion, however, to be just incredibly beautiful.

7. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

FWIW, I noticed the same problems with the Eureka: it looked harsh and processed to my eyes (but still very good). And just as I sold the old Criterion to get the Eureka, I've recently sold the Eureka and ordered the new Criterion.

And isn't the "cropping" that's seen on many Criterions and Warner classics just done to stabilize the picture (remove jitter), and well within reasonable bounds?

8. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I'm wondering how do you crop a movie shot in nearly 1:1.2 aspect ratio? Was the cropping necessary to remove damaged film artifacts?

9. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Looks like another home run for Criterion. I've had this release pre-ordered for months and can't wait to get my hands on it.