What's new

Fringe season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It's the Crease Clinic at Riverview Psych Hospital, which is actually in Coquitlam. It's a *very* popular shooting location, though, and it does indeed pop up everywhere, most recently I've seen it in The Killing (which is amazing), as Travis stated above.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by TravisR

I finally got my brother to watch Fringe, and he's about a third of the way through the third season - I happened to watch an episode with him, and at one point they said they were going out to Oyster Bay, a town on Long Island, which is minutes away from where we grew up - when they put the title card onscreen, I couldn't help but blurt out, "Wow, I never realized Oyster Bay looked so much like Canada!"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
It's the Crease Clinic at Riverview Psych Hospital, which is actually in Coquitlam. It's a *very* popular shooting location, though, and it does indeed pop up everywhere, most recently I've seen it in The Killing (which is amazing), as Travis stated above.
Is the whole hospital closed down or is just that wing closed? And yes, The Killing is amazing. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, there was that line of dialogue about him having come over, but we never saw that happen.

But it was 2026. There was 15 years worth of events we never saw happen.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
True, but I think it bothered me because the episodes DID show the time period during which Walternate would have had to have crossed over -- he'd have to have done so between the time that his assistant called him to alert him that the device was acting strangely, and the moment when Peter got into it. The viewer was shown that period of time. And during that period of time, we were not shown Walternate making a decision to cross over, nor did we see him cross over. We were just told later. And that felt like a cheat, or at least, it felt like a cheat as far as seeing Walternate's character development was concerned, since next time we see him, he's a terrorist claiming that he came over to broker peace. It was just a lot of character-development ground to cover with exposition.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Will_B

True, but I think it bothered me because the episodes DID show the time period during which Walternate would have had to have crossed over -- he'd have to have done so between the time that his assistant called him to alert him that the device was acting strangely, and the moment when Peter got into it. The viewer was shown that period of time. And during that period of time, we were not shown Walternate making a decision to cross over, nor did we see him cross over. We were just told later. And that felt like a cheat...

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was stated that the destruction of the other universe was instantaneous, making the window in which Walternate had to cross over extremely short. It seems that it was hinted that the destruction of the other universe was similar to that which our universe is suffering, albeit at a very reduced rate.

Walternate told Peter that he came over on a mission of mercy "at the end," and that he was "asking for help." That, to me, sounds like there was some delay between Peter getting into the machine and the machine over there acting strangely, and the complete annhilation of the universe.

However, Walternate also said that he was going to destory Peter's universe, and "not all at once." That sort of implies that the annihilation was indeed instantaneous, though it might have been a comment made for dramatic effect. At any rate, I think it looks more like there was some time for Walternate to try to counteract our machine, fail, realize he was beaten, and embark on his mission of mercy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What Josh said - I don't think Walternate's transformation was instantaneous, or that any of the events happened all at once. There's 15 years of backstory we didn't get.

I think what it really comes down to is what we see in that moment when Walter and Walternate finally meet each other; they're both understandable pissed (and I'm paraphrasing here) but Walter essentially says, everything I did was an accident, well-intentioned and ultimately selfish, but that I never intended for these consequences - and that you, Walternate, all of the destruction and violence you waged, that was intentional. It's an important distinction. But I think the brilliance in Noble's performance is that I can understand the motivations of Walternate as well as Walter. There's a little bonus feature on the Fox website called "Noble Intentions" where every week, they have a brief interview with John Noble about whatever the episode concerns, and it's really interesting to hear his thoughts on the characters and how he plays them.

In the end, for a show like Fringe, I find it hard to make any kind of final determination or judgment of what I think -- because I'm very aware that I haven't seen the full picture yet. To my mind (and I totally understand how others would differ, this is just my opinion), to judge whether a certain plotline or episode works at this point would be like saying a random chapter out of book worked or didn't work - I feel like I really need to see the whole before I can fully criticize what's going on. So while I reserve final judgment until the show is, well, finalized - I have to say I'm enjoying the ride. It's certainly tough to have to wait months for it to come back, and even week to week, it's not so easy waiting for the next episode. It's one of this cases for me where, if the last episode I've seen has been a little disappointing, I want the next week's to make up for it, and if the last episode I saw was great, then I can't wait for what comes next.

(There are some people or websites that review each episode from week to week, for instance saying one episode was a B+ and another was a D, and without seeing how they all fit into the larger whole, I find it impossible to make that kind of determination - and almost unfair to even try to.)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A note from the NBC schedule -

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/analysis-of-nbcs-schedule-bob-greenblatt-on-renewing-chuck-canceling-lola/

SCRIPTED PROGRAMMING ON FRIDAY: NBC has not aired scripted series on the night for awhile but will run Chuck’s final season and the first season of the fairy tale-themed Grimm from 8-10 PM, leading into Dateline.”I think reinventing Friday with some genre shows is the way to go,” Greenblatt said, adding that he decided to use fan favorite Chuck to support freshman Grimm. The decision is somewhat surprising as Fox has already put a claim on Friday as genre night with Fringe.

They just continue to encourage the use of DVRs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by NeilO

They just continue to encourage the use of DVRs.

...and then are shocked, absolutely shocked, when people actually do use them instead of watching live.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
As can be seen in many reports - FOX did not lie when they said that Fringe was renewed. It is on the schedule on Friday nights at 9 PM.

For some networks and shows this might not be noteworthy, but you can never tell with FOX.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The inaugural Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees were just announced. There is an article on Deadline about them with the official press release.

Fringe was nominated in the Best Drama category, Anna Torv in Best Actress in a Drama Series, and John Noble as Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I just watched the Pilot episode again. Its really strange now because the way the characters are set up at the start is so different - best example is Broyles

Loved Nina at the end - How long has he been dead ---- Question him :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Simon Massey

I just watched the Pilot episode again. Its really strange now because the way the characters are set up at the start is so different - best example is Broyles

Loved Nina at the end - How long has he been dead ---- Question him :)

I'm so glad they dropped the accent Broyles had.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
From and August 5 Deadline article of what Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly told reporters at TCA:
As for cult favorite, Fringe, "I don’t expect Fringe to grow, but if it does exactly what it did last year, we will be very, very happy," Reilly said.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/tca-decision-whether-this-is-houses-final-season-will-be-made-in-late-fall/#more-154228

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just finished Season 1 - going to be very interesting to see how they explore some of this in Season 4 given what happened at the end of 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks