What's new

Fright Night II (and other horror titles) BIG FAT FULLSCREEN (1 Viewer)

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
I hope you're kidding. :P

For what it's worth, though, I'm not here to commit a Jihad for Fullscreen. Just had a bit to discuss, and get off of my chest (so I wouldn't have to come out of the cropped closet later, and more difficultly!).

:)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Artisan screws up again. I love Fright Night II almost as much as the first, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy this sorry excuse for a release. I've only seen dirty pan & scan prints on TV and VHS. I was really looking forward to an OAR version of this movie, but Artisan took that away from me. NO SALE!
And Bride of Re-Animator is another kick in the teeth. I really wished I'd gotten it from Circuit City when I had the chance.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Artisan :angry:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, please read the forum's mission statement, particularly the following:

We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended. We respect the integrity of all artists involved in creating the original film as well as those who helped bringing the product to a form suited to be used in a home theater environment.
Full-screen (I loathe that term!) for any movie that is not originally 1.33:1 goes against the intention of the original creators of the film with very few exceptions, the most notable being Stanley Kubrick.

You'll find that those who support pan-and-scan or opened mattes on HTF are doing nothing more than painting a big bulls-eye on their chest.

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
Well, then, I guess I'm going to have to have faith in respected opinions.

...I have both formats in my rack, and I'm proud of it. I watch movies.

That's what I do.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
That's like saying that because you listen to music, you get the same enjoyment from monaural recording on a portable record player as you do from a CD on a finely-tuned, professional sound system.

:D :D :D :D :D

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
Depends on which recording it is. I mean, there are just some times when I'd like to hear some Beatles tracks with the cracks and hiss of a record player instead of the sterility of hearing the CD thumping along on a nice sound system.

However, if it were Metallica, or G'N'R, or even an orchestral recording...heck yeah. I'll take it on the system.

:D :D :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Scott and Johnny, it's not too late! We can have an intervention for you both!

OAR forever, dudes!

I bought into this hobby for the theater in home theater. I did not start buying A/V electronic equipment to get home video that has no respect whatsoever for the filmmaker's vision.

Please take a film appreciation/history course (offered all the time at local colleges, libraries, etc.). You'll soon see why we're so adament about OAR.

Dan

Johnny Buh

Auditioning
Please take a film appreciation/history course (offered all the time at local colleges, libraries, etc.). You'll soon see why we're so adament about OAR.
I've studied film history, albeit not for credit. I still have a low-fi feeling for some films, though.

...especially the cheap ones. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If you want to make a statement to Artisan on this, boycott the T2:EE. Too bad I already bought it

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Fright Night 2, Repossessed and Bride of Re-Animator: three movies I would have liked to purchase. Thanks for nothin' Artisan.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I could care less about LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM and BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR, as I already have the OOP Pioneer SEs of those two classics, but I am really pissed about FRIGHT NIGHT 2, which is a sequel I love just as much as the original! :angry: :angry: :angry: I hate you, Artisan!

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
This is terrible news. I've been wanting to watch Lair of the White Worm for some time now, and it looks like I won't be checking it out any time soon. Disappointing. If I wanted Fullscreen, I'd rent the VHS version. :frowning:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Bad analogy, Johnny. Comparing widescreen to foolscreen is like comparing a flawless, mint vinyl record to a 10 year old cassette tape that has been sitting on top of a giant magnet. You want "low-fi", get a VCR.

I'm all for respecting opinions, but this forum was meant for a group of people that share certain opinions (hence the mission statement). When it comes to movies, we all have differing opinions here. But when it comes to how a movie is PRESENTED, we all feel the same (again, as lame as it sounds, the mission statement).

In fact that's the whole basis for this forum's existence....not really movies themselves (though love of movies is of course the foundation of any forum like this), but the way they are presented, and maintaining the integrity thereof (man I sound like a doofus). Your welcome to stay here, but, well, a lot of venom is likely to get thrown your way.

It will only get worse as crap companies like Artisan and companies that just make you scratch your head like MGM continue to release cult favorites like Fright Night II in foolscreen only even when the majority of the consumers that actually remember and would purchase those title are OAR enthusiasts.

Two seconds after I post this, I look up....

Whoah, looks like some (thankfully) have less tolerance than me! Thanks, Ron, I was getting really sick of playing the nice guy...I didn't wanna be a jerk, but man....I'm a Kansas redneck, and I spent the first few years of DVD watching OAR on my 19" Zenith.

Well, now we'll at least have less people who say "if only the studio would EDUCATE the customers..." It's a sad fact of life, but people know the benefits of widescreen, they just don't care...I doubt they even would if they had a 40" 4:3 TV.

:frowning:

I suppose I'll be thankful to the manufacturers of 16:9 sets that we've at least won this war on the "new release" end of things (for the most part).

Esten

Supporting Actor
Damn.I was really looking forward to a Fright Night II DVD release.Now,I may as well wait for it to come on Encore again,and tape it.
This doesn't bode well for The Monster Squad......

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Some people obviously come here with the
intention to troll.

If you guys see people like Johnny Buh,
please don't hesitate to report it to us.

As I stated, the individual is history. Please
don't entertain this person's thoughts any longer.

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yep,

Widescreen rules, esp. if you got a 123inch diagonal like me. I know how lucky I am to have an understanding wife. For all of you out there who don't, or at least for what ever reason are unable to accommodate a truly large screen, all I can say is, "Hang in there, pricing are dropping like stones and small 16.9 CRTs will soon even be available at Walmart. Then all the great unwashed masses will be demanding widescreen, and THEN, surprise, Artisan will make you spring for the new release. Well, don't count on me buying FN2 now. Sorry Artisan, you just lost a sale, and I really wanted that title too. When are the studios going to realize that widescreen people BUY movies? FS people, usually rent, or is the rental market really more important to the studios?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Once again, the term FULLSCREEN must STOP being used!
So what is the correct term than? The famous documentary series 'The World at War' was not made in any form of widescreen, so um it was made in... Squarescreen?
King Kong 1933, Nonwidescreen?

Back to Fright Night II, I have a 16/9 copy off a satellite channel, guess I'll be keeping that a while longer, shame.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What about "Academy Ratio"?
Isn't Artisan up for sale anyways? Given their recent output it seems there's something going on (or not going on, rather).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks