What's new

Fright Night (1985) getting a 3000 copies only limited Bluray release!!! (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

Don't you guys think that if Night of the Creeps had sold well then Fright Night would be getting a normal release? Creeps has been marked down to $10 on Amazon for a few years and apparently it is still not moving that many copies. The market for that film was probably 2,500-3,000 consumers tops and then the rest of the world who won't buy it at any price.

This is exactly my thought too. Just because it was released on DVD & Blu-ray does not mean it sold well. In fact they must have been disappointed in several of their titles they released to move into the MOD program and now license limited Blu-ray releases. I guess the last catalog DVD was the Rita Hayworth Collection and Night Of The Creeps was the last deep catalog title in Blu. I don't consider The Bridge On The River Kwai a deep title.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Scott Calvert said:
Don't you guys think that if Night of the Creeps had sold well then Fright Night would be getting a normal release? Creeps has been marked down to $10 on Amazon for a few years and apparently it is still not moving that many copies. The market for that film was probably 2,500-3,000 consumers tops and then the rest of the world who won't buy it at any price.
Yeah, but how can they judge the success of one film on sales of another? In my opinion Fright Night is a much better horror film. I think the main thing that hurt the chances of a Blu from Sony themselves was that the remake tanked. Horrible numbers at the box office may have been the nail in the coffin for that idea. If Sony does indeed release a dvd of Fright Night with special features, I'll buy it no questions asked.....but I'm passing on the Blu-Ray.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Bryan^H How is the transfer of Mysterious Island?

And, seriously Fright Night won't even be available through Amazon?
I'm skipping this release. I am at my end for studios that don't care about their catalog titles. Thanks Sony for farming out Fright Night. Hope Twilight Time sells their 3,000 units.

I would expect it to be just as good as any other Sony BD title. We will have a review when the product is available. Twilight Time is working with Grover Crisp from Sony on picking the titles that have really good transfers so I predict a stamp of approval from RAH.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so wrong choice comparing it to night of the creeps, and somone mentioned the discount price that it goes for now, really, when the deluxe edition of Bridge on the River Kwai came out, i dont care what the MSRP is most places had it fo just around the $21 - $22 price range, and Taxi Driver for under $15 as a new release at walmart, so what the is the deal. Actualy what i have found is that on par i usualy get a better deal on these classic sony titles being fair priced right at the begining.

this title is well known enough that it could have gotten a general release from sony, and so that it would be marketed corectly make it look the part, the one thing with Twilight Time, is that it will look the way it should, inside and out, that means poster art fingers crossed for the cover art

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Mysterious Island is going to cost me $35 + shipping. Far more than I've ever paid for any blu-ray of a single film

I know when I'm getting gouged.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Agree or disagree as you like, but in point of fact, this situation in no way qualifies as "price gouging". "Price gouging" is a pejorative term that, in the strictest sense, is in fact a crime, and even in a more broad sense describes behavior that would be considered unethical or immoral. A specialty video label charging $35 - $40 for limited pressing runs of films that appeal primarily to the enthusiast market in no way earns them the insult of "price gouging".

Now, maybe you consider this overcharging because you have been spoiled by the cutthroat discounting that takes place in the home video market, but as one who has seen actual price gouging at a time of real hardship (following major hurricanes), I would suggest you choose your words more carefully. All Twilight Time is doing is fulfilling a very small market demand for collector titles at prices that are a fraction of what collectors paid for similar releases on vastly more inferior formats in years past.

If you want to insult someone, try insulting Sony. They could easily and profitably release this for $20 list, but choose not to.

Anyway, back to the discussion of Fright Night...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Originally Posted by Jim_K [url=/t/315152/fright-night-1985-getting-a-3000-copies-only-limited-bluray-release#post_3856163]

Twilight Time isn't the only small boutique label out there so their prices should be somewhat comparable to the others, however............

they're not.

Part of the problem is that these will only be available through a single outlet.

Lack of competition is bad for consumers.

No chance of any type of discount/markdown here

Mysterious Island is going to cost me $35 + shipping. Far more than I've ever paid for any blu-ray of a single film

I know when I'm getting gouged.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

How is the transfer of Mysterious Island?

I don't know but at the premium price I'm paying my jaw had better be on the floor when I'm watching it or I'll be pissed.

Nothing short of stunning for the PQ & AQ will do.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Yeah, but how can they judge the success of one film on sales of another?
I hate the idea of catalog titles having high price tags like this but I don't think they base their estimates off of one title. They have reams of DVD and Blu-ray sales data so they can make a very educated guess as to how many copies they can expect to sell of a title. Apparently, they looked at their numbers and thought they could make more or as much money by licensing it to Twilight Time as releasing it themselves. It sucks but it's not like a corporation is figuring out how to make less money for themselves.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
If like me you live in the EU the price is $30 + EU Import tax as the disc is above the threshold limit + decent shipping (if your paying $30 you need to get FedEx/DHL to ship air to air insured so thats another $15 right there plus they then invoice you the import tax which takes care of the other $5) means more like $50 so effectively this is a US only release unless you must own it for $50!!! I like this movie but at $50 to legally own it I think I will wait until someone in the EU @ Sony decides there is a market for this as they just started selling both Jumanji & Hook for £5.99 (around $8-9 on current exchange rates) you can easily imagine Hook is something which will never sell as well as Fright Night!!! I cannot even begin to understand the economics of how little profit they are going to make on a 3000 run as thats only $90K minus the disc replication costs/transfer cannot leave much profit if any just about break even most likely. Very strange decision the more closely you look at it.......

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
A $30 limited release is a drag, but hell, I'll fork over the money. Maybe all 3,000 copies will sell out quick and Sony will do a wider release themselves. Maybe. One can only hope?

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Paul_Warren said:
If like me you live in the EU the price is $30 + EU Import tax as the disc is above the threshold limit + decent shipping (if your paying $30 you need to get FedEx/DHL to ship air to air insured so thats another $15 right there plus they then invoice you the import tax which takes care of the other $5) means more like $50 so effectively this is a US only release unless you must own it for $50!!! I like this movie but at $50 to legally own it I think I will wait until someone in the EU @ Sony decides there is a market for this as they just started selling both Jumanji & Hook for £5.99 (around $8-9 on current exchange rates) you can easily imagine Hook is something which will never sell as well as Fright Night!!! I cannot even begin to understand the economics of how little profit they are going to make on a 3000 run as thats only $90K minus the disc replication costs/transfer cannot leave much profit if any just about break even most likely. Very strange decision the more closely you look at it.......
The way you're adding the figures isn't necessarily the way it's going to be. I live in the EU too and I'll get it for $37. Customs doesn't usually bother me, and I choose the cheap shipping. I got "The egyptian" for $47 that way (the blu-ray itself being $40).
Jim_K said:
I don't know but at the premium price I'm paying my jaw had better be on the floor when I'm watching it or I'll be pissed. 

Nothing short of stunning for the PQ & AQ will do.

It will look like every other Sony catalog title. A new 4k scan of the original elements and a bit of clean-up. Like a new print. About perfect for what it is (assuming the o-neg is is in good state, which it should be, it's an '80s movie, not a silent one). No more, no less. An anamorphic production of the mid-80s, probably with a slightly soft look. Expecting strange miracles is unrealistic.
dana martin said:
any ideas on what other titles they are planning ?
I have a hunch "Fright night" is going to be an odd end in Twilight Time's output. They're more geared towards old movies (like the '50s and before). As far as I know, the next announced Sony title they'll release is Picnic(1955) on January. Only old-movie-lovers care about those, and pages and pages of threads about how insane the high price tag is will not be written ...

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
jaaguir said:
The way you're adding the figures isn't necessarily the way it's going to be. I live in the EU too and I'll get it for $37. Customs doesn't usually bother me, and I choose the cheap shipping. I got "The egyptian" for $47 that way (the blu-ray itself being $40). It will look like every other Sony catalog title. A new 4k scan of the original elements and a bit of clean-up. Like a new print. About perfect for what it is (assuming the o-neg is is in good state, which it should be, it's an '80s movie, not a silent one). No more, no less. An anamorphic production of the mid-80s, probably with a slightly soft look. Expecting strange miracles is unrealistic. I have a hunch "Fright night" is going to be an odd end in Twilight Time's output. They're more geared towards old movies (like the '50s and before). As far as I know, the next announced Sony title they'll release is Picnic(1955) on January. Only old-movie-lovers care about those, and pages and pages of threads about how insane the high price tag is will not be written ...
Here in UK its 20% VAT & from 1st November the threshold for Imports goes down to £15 (from £18) on current exchange rates that = $23 nowhere near the $29.99 list price so anyone in UK is going to have to pay $29.99 + 20% Import Duty + Air Shipping (pointless ordering a $29.99 item without insured air shipping its easy to lose stuff in the post otherwise.....) which is why I said around $50 as thats the actual approx cost to legally own this movie on Bluray here in the UK. Only way around this is if you know someone in the US willing to send you the movie as a gift. Warner Bros seem to have a far better understanding of the economics as they are prepared to sell the Nightmare On Elmstreet 1-7 movies for only £36 on region free Bluray in 1 week in UK. You could argue 2 of those movies are very poor but even then your getting at least 4 x 1980 classic horror movies for slightly less than the price of Fright Night. I know where my money is going.......

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The only thing that worries me is the limited quantity. While most titles they sell aren't all that widely popular to sell out immediately, FRIGHT NIGHT and (to a lesser extent) THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND have potential to sell out very fast. The price is steep, but it appears the blu-rays will never approach THE EGYPTIAN blu-ray prices again. However, most retailers do not even list the existing Twilight Time DVD/Bluray products (outside of MGM MOD) and none appear list pre-orders, so it is not likely most potential buyers will even know about them until the 3rd party listing pops up on Amazon after release. So far, I'm just hoping that I can save overall shipping by bundling other items into the preorders. $5 is a bit steep for shipping. Cheaper shipping should be available since the item just in a small padded envelope.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud

However, most retailers do not even list the existing Twilight Time DVD/Bluray products (outside of MGM MOD) and none appear list pre-orders, so it is not likely most potential buyers will even know about them until the 3rd party listing pops up on Amazon after release.

The Twilight Time releases are only sold on the Screen Archives web site. They will not be offered on any other Internet site nor will they be in the brick and mortar stores. The only way to purchase them is from SAE or from eBay or Amazon Marketplace when people re-sell.

The MGM MOD program is open to anyone that wishes to sell their titles. Screen Archives is just another vendor as is Amazon. Movies Unlimited and Deep Discount.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Paul_Warren said:
Here in UK its 20% VAT & from 1st November the threshold for Imports goes down to £15 (from £18) on current exchange rates that = $23 nowhere near the $29.99 list price so anyone in UK is going to have to pay $29.99 + 20% Import Duty + Air Shipping (pointless ordering a $29.99 item without insured air shipping its easy to lose stuff in the post otherwise.....) which is why I said around $50 as thats the actual approx cost to legally own this movie on Bluray here in the UK. Only way around this is if you know someone in the US willing to send you the movie as a gift. Warner Bros seem to have a far better understanding of the economics as they are prepared to sell the Nightmare On Elmstreet 1-7 movies for only £36 on region free Bluray in 1 week in UK. You could argue 2 of those movies are very poor but even then your getting at least 4 x 1980 classic horror movies for slightly less than the price of Fright Night. I know where my money is going.......
From past experiences ScreenArchives are pretty tax-friendly, you'd likely get any item shipped directly home to you without having to pay any tax (even in the UK with its lower threshold than us Swedes). I have ordered some pretty costly soundtracks from them, several at a time, and have never been stung by tax for those. Also, ScreenArchives have reportedly re-shipped items lost in mail without having to resort to insurance and costly shipping. Yes, the Elm Street set is cheap by comparison but then you get exactly the quality you are paying for as well...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well i am not made of money but i paid $42 dollars for the all singing and all dancing 3D + 2D editions of the Lion King, thats despite not owning a 3D projector, i want to future proof my buy though and some time in the future watch that one in 3D, i also paid $40 for both The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus on the Criterion label, now if i can pay that for those films then i don't mind paying $30 for a limited edition Fright Night, i am confident this will have had a 4K scan from Sony and despite the lack of extra content it will likely look as good as it can WITHOUT excessive tampering by the studio.

Now sure i'd rather pay less, being in the UK i will have postage charges on top to pay and since customs and excise are lowering the import threshhold to £15 ( grrrr ) i may also have other charges, but i have fond memories of Fright Night from seeing it on VHS all those years ago, i want to see it on the big screen, if i end up not liking it and feel its aged badly then i may just sell it, but if i sell then i'll get my money back because limited editions are easy to sell.

Bottom line is this, i'd rather we get catalogue titles like this than not get them, Sony are obviously evaluating the marketplace for such titles, if deals like this mean we get more catalogue titles released, even at a higher price, then i'll take it, i'll not enjoy paying more but i will take it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

Bottom line is this, i'd rather we get catalogue titles like this than not get them, Sony are obviously evaluating the marketplace for such titles, if deals like this mean we get more catalogue titles released, even at a higher price, then i'll take it, i'll not enjoy paying more but i will take it.

That's my point exactly.

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
Pre-orders go up November 14th at screenarchives.com with a release date of December 13th. I'm definitely excited for this.
313019_291242567561083_199596136725727_1133891_191676428_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks