What's new

Fries & Toast (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It gets more personal over here in England, our newspapers have nicknamed French President Jacques Chirac Le Worm, they use that moniker in all their stories, and one popular newspaper even posted a front page photo of a worm with the French President's head on it, it's getting silly.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Steve, those newspapers you mention, are they in the vein of tabloids? I'm just curious to know if papers like the Times or the Economist are doing this. Also, are the comments relegated to the op/ed page, or do they use the moniker in, say, a front page story?

Just curious to see how different journalistic traditions/ethos plays out in different nations.

-j

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
As far as I know its the tabloids Jay, and I've seen Le Worm on the front page with the photo I mentioned, I think The Times used the moniker Le Snake instead...
I'm joking ofcourse. ;)

Quickly check out todays front page of The Sun, showing Chirac and Saddam, before it changes, getting bad eh?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Actually I'm rather impressed by how civilized this thread is. Not unusual for HTF as a whole, but given the topic it's impressive. Unheard of on the rest of the internet.

My 2 centiemes say, what do we expect? Congress always does silly things like this and so do plenty of other places. The State of New York has an Official Cheese. It's just a way of grandstanding to make a point. It may seem petty but diplomatically it tells the French that they might be underestimating just how mad we are.

I also say let the dead men and women we left in France rest in peace. We should not visit our squabbles upon the dead, unless France demands we move them. In that case the judgement of history will be upon France.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All I have to say is that we have many more and better reasons to hate the French :) After all, according to Michael Moore's phone poll, more people support attacking France than anywhere else, and that was back in 2000 :) (See The Awful Truth: Season 1)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
... more people support attacking France than anywhere else, and that was back in 2000
The real reason they wouldn't give our planes overflight rights for the Lybia raid all those years ago was they were afraid our pilots wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to drop a couple of bombs on their way to the target. :)

Actual bumper sticker seen in south Florida, "Today Baghdad, Tomorrow Paris"

This whole thing reminds me of the young British private being shipped off to WWI in August 1914 who was asked where his unit was going. As a pre-war professional soldier instead of one of the new volunteers he replied with Tommy Atkins's traditional indifference to the exact identity of the King's enemies, "Going off to fight those bloody Belgiums, I guess."

;)

Regards,

Joe

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I also say let the dead men and women we left in France rest in peace. We should not visit our squabbles upon the dead, unless France demands we move them. In that case the judgement of history will be upon France.
The fact is the French give great honor to the Allied war dead in Normandy, there is 0% chance of them wanting to move the war graves, it is only childish US "representatives" that are even entertaining the notion of robbing graves to make a hollow political point.

What I do not understand is how some people confuse the French (and many other countries) opposition to US foreign policy with "anti-Americanism". They do not hate the USA, they simply disagree with us on this matter, we still have more in common that not, why is that so hard to comprehend?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Charles,
So far this is a light-hearted discussion, please stop trying to take it into an area of discussion that is not allowed on this forum.

Crawdaddy

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy - I agree that previous post was a bit out there, but I do hope that the posters here do realize that this thread is open only because we wish to make fun of it, and not that we really think that the menu changes were all made in fun.

Glenn

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
it is only ... U.S. [representatives] that are ... entertaining the notion of robbing graves ...
Purely in the interest of factual accuracy I think someone should point out that the proposal made in Congress merely gives the families of U.S. service personnel buried in France and Belgium the option of having their loved ones' remains returned to American soil at government expense should the families feel a desire to do so - for whatever reason. No one has proposed wholesale exhumations, or returning soldiers' remains on the say-so of the government.

We now return this thread to its former tone of light-hearted trans-Atlantic spitball fighting. :)

Regards,

Joe

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Wasn't there a Simpsons episode about the U.S./France relations in which the sneaky French defeated the U.S.? I think they had a nuclear bomb with an intel pentium processor inside of it, and Homer was the only one on in the country to survive. I forget what caused them to hit the U.S. with a surprise attack though.

"I've wasted my life."

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Hot Dogs were known as Frankfurters before WWI (guess they still are, but to a lesser extent). But what about those little cocktail weenies ?

LewB

Screenwriter
Anyone seen the IHOP commercial on TV for their new 'Stuffed French Toast' ?

If that doesn't prove that timing is everything, I don't know what does. :frowning:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I support the cause against the evildoers over the seas...

But this kind of stuff is just dumb. The French are opposing our views, but they're not our enemy. Saddam Hussein is. Too many people are forgetting that...

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Damn, do I now have to get rid of all my PC "ticklers?"

Some of the alternatives cause me concern.

German Ticklers - the soft rubbery ends are turned inside and made of hard abrasive plastic - to "punish and pleasure at the same time".

The ZPG "Zero Population Growth" ticklers - coated with novacain inside and out.

Maybe I can make up some new packages and just call them "Bush Beaters."

Now, if someone would only get rid of that stupid Politicall Correct - oops sorry, that is redundant - reference to sex as "gender."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If that doesn't prove that timing is everything, I don't know what does. :frowning:
How about A&E promoting their upcoming (April 8) Napoleon TV movie with a sweepstakes offering a trip to Bordeaux and a week-long tour of the wine country? Even if you're not personally pissed off at the French, and therefore would want to go, I'm not sure you could trust the reception you'd get as a American. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks