Fries cause Cancer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Yahoo Article
    Not being able to eat fried foods anymore?? Now this would be devestating for all the fat kids like me.

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

PLEASE .... No matter what you do! ..... DO NOT tell Homer Simpson about this![​IMG][​IMG]
    [BTW....I think it's all a crock of Homer-doo! EVERYTHING seems to cause cancer, or some disease!!! Ridiculous! If you took all these reports to heart, your diet would consist of nothing but spring water (purified of course) and .... maybe .... er .... let me see .... Nope, nothin' else! You starve! [​IMG]]

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Health Nazis are gonna grab this and run with it.

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Andrew, staying in bed to long causes cancer too. [​IMG] Actually I think that just leads to shorter life spans for some other reason. Notice that bread is on that list too? There goes a whole food group.
    I think its ridiculous to worry about this stuff, especially when they don't specify the amounts and what types of cancer it causes. Are they taking that chemical and injecting high quantities into rats?
    I had a friend that was 22 and got a rare form of a rare cancer that was typically only occurred in kids, and subsequently died from it. If its going to get you, its going to get you. Aside from avoid high doses of radiation and cigarette smoke and other well known cancer causing angents, there ain't much you can do.

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Notice that the authors of the alleged study haven't actually published the thing in a peer-reviewed journal - they just called a press conference and announced their findings to a room full of reporters, none of whom was in a position to challenge anything they had to say. Based on what they did say, one critic has calculated that an average (154 lb.) adult human would have to eat 35,000 potato chips every day for life to match the dose the animals in the studies were subjected to. You eat 35,000 of anything every day and I can pretty much assure you you'll develop some medical condition. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    OK. I read that the other day also, and then a friend e-mailed it to me yesterday. Here is my response:
    Red wine supposedly helps one live longer, but that is not why I drink it. I drink it because I LOVE the way it TASTES! I may feel a little guilty when I eat that sugar coated donut, but it will still taste great...
    Supposedly someone has found a way to roast coffee without removing the antioxidants, which would actually make coffee healthy to drink without changing the taste (I doubt this has really hit the consumer market yet). I don't drink coffee anymore, but I still enjoy a cup now and then.
    FACT: I am going to die at some point, we all are. If my life will be shortened by eating donuts, french fries, bread, beer, whatever, do I really care? I look at it this way: I'd rather ENJOY my life and have it be shorter than live longer without the things that make me happy.
    "Increases the RISK of cancer" BREATHING increases the risk of cancer. I doubt anyone will outlaw that anytime soon. So do a few things that are good for you to ballance out the vices... Life is a risk that you take every day. Have some fun with it. [​IMG]
    PS - Yes, I want fries with that.

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Why does the thread title and most of the responses focus only on the "fried food" aspect of the article?? It ALSO says BAKED foods will get you.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Jay Leno was all over the "Fries = Cancer" thing tonight!
    "...But the good news is ... for just 39 cents you can get your tumor super-sized!" [​IMG]

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    You can eat health food from the day you're born and for the rest of your life....

But you're going to die anyways. Besides...who wants to be ALIVE when you're 97 or 112 years old? (Gee, sure am healthy...too bad my skin is starting to fall off!)

14. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The simple fact is that carcinogens are everywhere. However our bodies are geared to eliminate most of them naturally. Others can build up, and only pose a threat if a certain level is reached. Thus only when we fail to eat nutritionally balanced meals do we mess our our internal systems and these carcinogens become a major threat.

So eating a big mac and fries every day isn't going to do your health any good. Of course as someone noted above, its more likely that a heart attack will do you in than some cancer will.

And of course even a balanced diet doesn't help if you purposely go out of your way to get cancer, such as smoking, breathing asbestos, etc. And of course not all cancers are caused by carcinogens. Some are caused by just poor genetics, or viral infections messing up our genes.

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, today i read that:

Fries

Chips

Toast

gives you cancer... whats next? Ramen Noodles? no wait, didnt they say those cause cancer too?

Hmm, choices choices.. starve to death or get cancer...

16. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

http://www.consumerfreedom.com
    Has anyone else heard this group's radio ads? They're hysterical. A nice antidote to these types of studies. You can hear all three ads on the web site.

17. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's not "carcinogens" it's free radicals that are the problem. Free radicals are everywhere, in everything we come in contact with an consume. These free radicals cause damage to cells, which naturally replenish themselves over time. As the cells become more damaged over time, they continue to reproduce what is no longer an exact copy of itself, and this results in what we know as aging. This also gives rise to such things as cancer, which are mutated cells that "infect" nearby cells, etc... Not that this is the only way that cancer develops, but it is one way. While you can't stop it, there are things that can be done to help slow the effects down, most notably a healthy, ballanced diet as Danny R pointed out.

19. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Eating a balanced diet does make sense. It can include French Fries.
    That being said, 39000 potato chips in a day just might cause a pretty bad case of indigestion... [​IMG]
    Mike

20. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

First they came after the smokers, but I wasn't a smoker so I didn't do anything about it. Next they came after coffee drinkers, but I didn't drink coffee so I did nothing. Then they came after the drinkers of alcoholic beveradges, but I didn't drink so I did nothing. Soon they came after the fast-food eaters, but I didn't eat fast food, so I did nothing. Eventually they also came after all red-meat, chicken, bread, potato, and rice eaters.

Now all I'm allowed to consume is grass, water, and tofu.