What's new

Friends season sets, release schdeule? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Hello there, first of let me apologise for this post as it probably has come up many times, but I did a search and couldn't find eyxactly what I was looking for.

I was just wondering if anyone knew at what intervals Warner will be releasing Friends season boxsets in the US?

Even though I live in an R2 land I have bought seasons 1-4 from the US simply because they have better sound, more extras and the extended versions.

But I have just realised that shops in the UK will start selling the UKR2 boxsets for around £17.99 (30$US) for seasons 1-6 and £38 (63$US) for seasons 7-9.
Now these disc have all less extras than the R1 discs but if Warner will take years to release the remaining seasons on R1 (excluding season5 which I have already on order from the US)then I might just go for these discs.

So my question (finally);)

does anyone know when the rest of the seasons will be released in the US??

are we talking years or months??

PS please excuse my ignorance on this:
I have heard about some system called vindication(???)which basically means that some TV shows are not allowed to be released on Video/DVD until after a 4 year period in the US. Is that right and does that apply to Friends??

thanks a lot

Tom:)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You're thinking of syndication, where which is essentially the sale of rerun rights. Sometimes the contracts forbid home video releases, but this is becoming less and less common. If this was the case with Friends, it's changed now or they wouldn't have released the seasons they have.

Seasons seem to be coming out every 3 or 4 months in the US, so I don't think you'll have to wait all that long.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, some studios in some instances are learning how to capitalize on the strengh of its TV product when releasing current product on DVD. WB seems to have it down for Friends. I just wish Fox had it down with The Simpsons... Also, with the remaing show, on the horizon, WB kicked it up a notch so that it could use its current product to drive its sales...

As far as the tie-ins are concerned and with Friends... Season 5 is on the horizon, but Season 6 will be out in about February, and Season 7 will be out about May - June time frame, just in time to see Friends kick off the air... Then Season 8 will be out about the time Joey's new show starts off (obvious tie-in), and the last two Seasons will duplicate Seasons 6 & 7 during the spin-off's first year (assuming it lasts a full year). I highly suspect that a reunion movie will be done at the end of next season (Joey returns to NY between shooting schedules) and that will help drive Season 10's sales... Just my over imaginitive mind ...

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Season 5 is scheduled to be released on November 4, most websites have it up for pre-order already.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
thanks a lot;)

Daniel, I have already preordered Season5 I will get that one on R1 anyway.
Dan and William: very kind. now at least I know how the stuff works, nobody (or at least only a few) in Europe understand the rights issues in the US.
So 3-4 months for each?? I'll stick with R1 then.
THANK YOU:):emoji_thumbsup:

PS: BTW can anyone edit the thread title?? I mispelled "Schedule" :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks