What's new

Friends Season One in HD? (1 Viewer)

Matthew J

Agent
I saw among Warner's release list, Friends Season One. Any ideas for when this will arrive, perhaps this year? For A True HD Transfer, I think they'd have to go back, clean up and re-edit the episodes ala Seinfeld, correct? Any further info on this yet?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
To my knowledge the reedit episodes are just the UK versions, that being said, the extra scenes should have the same quality as the US broadcast scenes.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a remastering though, since the show is more than a decade old.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I remember reading somewhere that there will be no benefit to upgrading to HD other than fitting more episode on a disc because the series was shot on video.
Is this true ?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure these were, in fact, filmed. IMDB states that Panaflex Cameras and Lenses by Panavision were employed - though some people say IMDB is not completely error-free. I do remember at least seeing some images from the studio showing film cameras.

Matthew J

Agent
I'm almost positive that Friends was shot on film, it certainly doesn't have the video look and there is some film grain throughout the seasons. The older seasons really DO need a cleanup.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off until there is a significant demand for TV in HD. I would've thought it would be there, but judging by the numbers that The Sopranos and Smallville have done in HD, I can't see anyone else in much of a hurry.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I love this show, it's my favorite and I have all 10 on dvd now but I don't think I could double-dip for the upgrade.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I might take the plunge if the price is similar to current Friends seasons (about $25 currently) or up to $30-$35 per season. I WILL NOT buy these at double the price of the SD release. if they go into Sopranos prices they can bet these will stay on the shelves.

Also cropping to 16:9 is a NO SALE at any price.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

There would have to be a pretty hefty upgrade rebate from WB for me to consider doing so, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Also, while I agree cropping to 16:9 would be undesirable, if due to the show having been shot on film there is any additional usable image area available on the sides then I personally would not be opposed to them opening up the frame in the HD transfer.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Problem is, though, that the frame would have been composed for 4:3, so outside the '4:3 safe' area could be such things as mic booms, technicians, cameras etc.

As and when I take the HD plunge, I can't see myself ever upgrading my DVDs on this; ten boxed sets is an awful lot to upgrade, and frankly a sitcom (even the best ones like Frasier, let alone a very good one like Friends) doesn't merit such an upgrade.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Why not just release a box set of all ten seasons in SD on BDs, PDQ, if you please?
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks