Friends: Season 5? Any word yet?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kevin_M_M, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I know I would have heard but I'm just curious if anyone has heard any rumblings. We knew about Season 4 almost as soon as Season 3 hit stores. Just curious...

2. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

on the digitalbits today they mention a possible 9/2 release for season 5. they actually say season 4 but since that is allready out i presume they meant s5

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Doubtful. With only a month's notice? Maybe it will come in October.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I believe the September 2nd date. My guess is that all 9 seasons will be out before season 10 wraps up. I think the netowrks/studios want a quicker turn around (judging by Alias, 24, and the Shield releases).

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

You have to be kidding right, another september 2 release? Is the world ending on the 3rd, and they have to release everything that day, lol !

6. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I'd believe the 9/2 date if was announced in June, since Warner Brothers has left at least three months between the announcement and release date of all previous Friends season sets, although September would be a good month so they could cross-promote it with the Season 10 premiere.

7. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

According to tvshowsondvd.com season 5 will be released on 11/4

8. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'm glad they're releasing these sets promptly. With only a 4 month wait between 3 & 4, and a mere three months for 5, at this rate the rest of the series should be available to own in no time. I, for one can't get enough of this show. I find myself watching the first four seasons constantly, and I never get tired of them. If certain other series' were this prompt with releases, I'd be ecstatic.

9. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

This show has become my new Simpsons. That is, I used to flip on Simpsons whenever I was eating and wanted to space out. But they only re-run about 20 episodes here, and I'm sick of waiting for the DVDs.

Friends, on the other hand, has been released so quickly that I have plenty to enjoy. I'm just done with season 3, and by the time I watch 4, 5 will be out. And, of course, they are endlessly re-watchable.

I've been watching the show since it premiered, and I will be very sorry to see it go.

10. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    It's funny. I never once watched an episode of "Friends" until season 1 came out over a year ago. A friend had bought it for me as a gift assuming I'd like it. Ever since I watched that set, I've been hooked. Ever since, I've been catching it in syndication whenever possible, as well as the first-run Thursday night episodes, and every time upcoming sets are announced, I'm ecstatic. I don't know why it took about 8 years for this show to appeal to me, but I guess it's true what they say...........better late than never.

I guess in a way, I'm glad they're wrapping it up after 10 seasons. I mean, the show has run its course and frankly, I'd like to see it end on a high note as opposed to being run into the ground.

11. Daniel Kikin

Wow, 11/4 is going to be expensive with Friends:S5, DS9:S6, and X-Files:S8.

12. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

can i just say i love this community? one day after i ask if anyone has heard anything on this set, there are not one but two announcements on street dates. gotta love it!

but this fall is going to break the bank, no joke.

13. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Gotta love "Friends". I agree, Andrew, that they're endlessly rewatchable. I'm excited about season 5 because it's the season I stopped watching "Friends" during. Everything after this is going to be completely new material to me. They can't release these DVDs fast enough.

Also, yes, the series is going to end at season 9. But don't forget that the spinoff series "Joey" will be occupying the same timeslot two fall seasons from now. Let's just hope it's not another miserable spinoff failure.

14. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

11/4 sounds good to me. [​IMG]

Actually S9 was this past season, so the show will end after this upcoming season which is S10. I believe S10 has also been trimmed to about 20 episodes.

15. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

Dane:

just my opinion, but the quality of the show dropped dramatically after the 4th season. i think it all started with the really stupid way they handled one of the best cliffhangers in sitcom history. (when Ross says -------)

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Eric, in my opinion the show really stayed high-quality. When Chandler and Monica hooked up, it was a recipe for potential disaster, but they made a great tranistion and still kept the comedy high and the nice touches were still nice. Even the past couple of seasons, noticably suffering a bit compared to the high quality of writing from previous seasons, is still better than most of what's on TV. I am very happy to tune in on Thursdays, even though I'm glad they are winding it down so that it still goes out on a somewhat high note. A great run for a great series.

Gotta love that purple cover for S5! [​IMG] It looks nice, and the extras do, too. I can't wait for 11/4!

17. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

18. Daniel Kikin

I think Season Seven was the low point but Seasons Eight stepped it up again.

Also, now that Warner is putting the documentary and England featurette from the "best of" sets on the season set, maybe it's finally time to put the Rembrandts "I'll Be There For You" music video with the casts on one of these sets too.

19. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

The Rembrandts video "I'll be there for you" was on Season 1.

20. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I am very happy with the pace at which Warner is releasing Friends. I love this series and prefer watching entire seasons on a weekend. This relaxes me more than anything else. At this rate, they should have season eight out by the end of 2004!