Friends: Season 1 a bit high priced?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

At least that's what I thought when I viewed the total price. $52.00 for 4 discs? Twin Peaks with $38 for 4 discs, and the Simpsons with $28 for 3 discs were a much better value in my opinion. Who else thinks this set is a bit pricey?

~Kevin

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I agree, that is why I won't be buying them.

3. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I think all sets are too high priced.

Take X-files - 7 discs for $119 (CDN) don't know what it is in USD but when I can get Buffy season one for $31.99 and thats 3 discs 7 shouldn't be that much more.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that people will still buy it

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Peter Staddon said in an interview that other factors affect the price of television products on DVD.

Stuff like...

Royalty Payments to the talent

Music Rights and Royalties

All factor into the price of a product. $52.00 for four discs is not bad, especiall considering how much entertainment you get out of it.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 is selling for about $100 with over 20 hours of entertainment.

The X Files box sets MSRP for $149.98 and sell for about $100 as well with a little over 24-25 hours of entertainment.

Personally, I am just glad they finally ARE releasing them to DVD. Especially considering Warner Brothers' previous release strategies for TV products.

5. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    What cheeses me out about the X-Files season 5 is the fact that there are fewer episodes and only six discs are required, but it is the same price as the previous sets!

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

7. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

If $52.00 is the price that it takes for Warners to actually release Friends on DVD in the US, then I'll gladly pay it.

8. Scott De

Scott De Extra

If you think about it on a per-episode basis, most season sets end up selling for $1-$5 per episode (based on 22-24 episodes per season for most shows).

That doesn't seem like an outrageous expense to me.

9. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

I don't really care about the price right now. I'm just glad to see the whole entire season on dvd. Thanks Warner.

10. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I personally am just happy that they are being released in the proper order. I am willing to shell out 52 bucks for a show that I am a big fan of and if Friends sells well it could lead to more South Park in proper order[​IMG]

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

$52 is fairly cheap compared to the price on season box sets for other shows. Hopefully, the B5 box sets will be that cheap.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[rant]It's only gonna be $52!!! [/rant] [​IMG]
    Cool! $13 a disc? MINE!!
    Come to papa....

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

14. andrew markworthy

Guys, count yourselves lucky - over here we are paying a *lot* more than that!

The series were issued on separate discs. For series 1-6, you got 8 episodes per disc, with an official price of 20 pounds each. For series 7, they offered 4 episodes per disc (again at circa 20 pounds), but on the flip side you supposedly had the stunning bargain of the 'directors' cuts' of the same episodes which were about 5 minutes longer. Believe me, the directors' cuts weren't worth the doubling of the cost of buying the series.

15. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

When I buy a DVD I look at is as though I'm paying for it's content...not the plastic itself.

16. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

The Japanese box sets are also fairly pricey which makes the US release look good. The Japanese R2's are released in half season box sets of 3 discs and retail for about 50-60$ a pop depending on the dollar/yen at the time. So you're averaging 100$ to import a great looking NTSC version right there.

Getting the whole season for half the price? Right up my alley.

17. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Just went to DVDEmpire and, at their selling price, episodes of the Simpsons cost $2.46 each, and Friends episodes are $2.33. Doesn't sound like too much of a ripoff to me.

I am somewhat concerned about the packaging, though...

18. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I own boxsets of seasons 1-7 (and will get 8 as soon as released). These are R2, obviously.

I paid pretty much US$50 for each as well and it was definitely worth every penny of it.

As others said, it's really a fair price if you think about the fun you get out of these (and per hour as well, but that doesn't mean too much).

19. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

20. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor