1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Friends R2 or R4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gideon Tam, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Gideon Tam

Gideon Tam Auditioning

Hello,
    Does anyone know that if the TV series Friends on R2 or R4 DVDs suffer from the 4% speedup?
    Thanks,
    Gideon

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...erm... all program material that was originally filmed at 24fps will inevitably and unavoidably 'suffer' from the c.4% 'speedup' that is inherent in the PAL 25 fps system - which is used in R2/Europe etc. (but not in R2/Japan, which is NTSC) and in R4/Australia etc. (but not in R4/South America, which - I believe but am not sure - is NTSC as well)...
    ...that said, in the past three decades a few hundred million people the world over have happily watched PAL TV without worrying about image - and sound! - speedup... just as, during that same period, several hundred million more people the world over have happily watched NTSC TV without worrying about the - equally inevitable and unavoidable - nefarious side effects resulting from that pesky '3-2 pull-down' business...
    WARNING!
    Collecting/watching DVDs reinforces
    latent anal retentive tendencies!

. . . [​IMG] . . .
    [Edited last by Hendrik on August 21, 2001 at 12:26 PM]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The R4 is probably identical and 30-40% cheaper. I always check Aussie sites first if there's something I want from the UK, and it usually ends up saving me a lot of money (shipping is nothing too)
    Jeff Kleist

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

But is Friends 24fps? It's made for TV so it should be 30 fps...?
    ------------------
    /Kimmo