What's new

Friends 10/3 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That Ross/Joey/Gunther scene in the coffee shop was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. And don't miss the last scene during the credits either. :laugh:

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
That truly was a great scene...it made me remember why I've been watching that show in the first place!

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
One word "classic"!

I taped the show and watched the Ross/Joey punch scene about 10 times. Bring on more of the same.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Has the show caught its second wind or something? I've really been enjoying it lately and its been on for nine years ?!!

Don Black

Screenwriter
How classy would it be if they came back for a 10th season and donated all of their salaries to charity... It would be a blast for them, good for NBC, and a quick $100 million for a lucky non-profit.

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Is that the speculation going around now? That would be cool. And people more deserving do need the money. But I think season 10 would be a terrible idea. I do love the show but I question whether it has the steam to keep going.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
The episode was great. Phoebe was funny as usual and I always love Ross/Joey interaction, they just have a great chemistry. The Central Perk scene was the most hysterical thing on Friends in a long while and I loved the last seasons. I was almost rolling on the ground laughing.

Ross: "Why don't we talk about this on our way to the hospital."
Joey: "Maybe while we there they can check your reflexes."

Phoebe: "You guys, we cannot turn on each other, ok? That is just what she wants."

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Well, if it wasn't obvious to anyone else, they are already working in steps to end the show.. Possibly with Chandler and Monica moving to Tulsa??? That would bite to move from NY to OK..

It was one of the funniest moments on the show in a long time.. I nearly choked on soda that I drank right before that scene... Hope the rest of the series is that good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
can some one run down the entire ep. i screwed up the vcr last night and didnt get it.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I'll try Tony... OBVIOUSLY THIS IS SPOILER MATERIAL IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW
Monica and Phoebe deck out Ross & Rachel's apartment for the baby's homecoming. Phoebe somehow gets the wrong signs and they say "It's a Boy!". So she takes a marker and writes "/Not" on them.
Rachel cannot get the baby to stop crying. Monica and Phoebe flip through all of the baby books looking for solutions but none seem to work. Eventually Monica holds the baby while Rachel goes to the bathroom and it immediately stops crying. Rachel then designates Monica as her live-in baby crying stopper.
Ross is still upset at Joey (and Rachel) for the engagement proposal. While picking up diapers and muffins, Ross runs into Joey at the coffee house. Joey wants to talk about it, but Ross wants nothing to do with him. Joey tries to convince Ross to hit him to get it out of his system, but Ross declines. Joey taunts him and provokes him so Ross eventually takes a swing and Joey ducks. Ross connects witht he pole and hurts his hand. Ross is more upset at Joey now for ducking. Joey says it's a natural reaction to duck when someone throws a punch, so to prove his point he punches Ross, but Ross obviously doesn't have that natural reaction and Joey lands one on Ross' nose.
Ross and Joey go to the hospital to check out Ross' hand, and find out he broke his thumb (Joey can't figure out how he broke his thumb while throwing a punch). In a very funny scene, Joey fills out the paperwork because the cast on Ross' hand prevents him from doing so. One of the questions is Who to contact in an emergency. Ross chooses Rachel, and the next question is relationship to the emergency contact. Joey says "This could take a while" :D
While at the hospital, Ross confesses that the original plan between Ross and Rachel to just remain friends who have a baby is what they should stick to. (Obviously this isn't really what Ross wants, though based on the way he is telling Joey)
Chandler is up all night worrying about a big meeting at work. He cannot stay awake, so falls asleep during the meeting. At the end of the meeting, his boss' boss asks if Chandler is "on board". Chandler, not knowing what that meant, says "Yes". He then realizes he just agreed to head up the office in Tulsa, OK.
Chandler informs Monica they have to move to Tulsa by trying to convince her Tulsa is the Paris of OK. Monica is obviously not happy and tells him to go back to the boss and decline.
Chandler goes to the boss and tells her he and his wife cannot move to OK. In the process, he manages to get the boss' name wrong, and insult her daughter whom Chandler thought was a boy. Too embarrassed to try and get out of the Tulsa move, instead says "I'll call you from Tulsa" and leaves.
Chandler goes back to Monica to tell her they are moving to Tulsa, but because she is holding the baby, she cannot scream at him, and then Chandler runs out of the apartment. (That's where we're left with the situation)
In the closing credits scene, Ross, Joey, and Chandler are sitting in the coffee house. Joey is still trying to convince Ross that the natural reaction to a punch is to duck, and to prove his point he swings at Chandler. Chandler naturally ducks, and the swing lands in Ross' face. :D
Hope I didn't leave anything out! :)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Oh sure, when I finally decide to stop watching, it gets good again!

Seriously...I challenge anyone to watch Seasons 1 and 2, and watch now. The quality of the show has dramatically declined. The only characters I even remotely like anymore are Joey and Phoebe.

If you want a "fer instance" - take "The One Where Heckles Dies." This is a Season 2 ep where the girls' downstairs neighbor dies. It features a hysterical subplot of Phoebe dismissing evolution and Ross getting upset by that.

Schwimmer's delivery in this ep is fantastic - a full range, and really making great use of quiet and subtle intonations and expressions.

Contrast to the last few seasons, where Ross has been reduced to a complete idiot who shouts EVERYTHING. Gone is the complex character with depth.

And don't even get me started on Monica, who is now a shrieking harridan who desperately needs to eat some food.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Actually, in the first two episodes of this season, I thought Schwimmer delivered some of the funniest lines without raising his voice. With last week's 1st episode getting 33 million viewers, I bet NBC is starting to crunch the numbers for a possible 10th season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And don't forget the "air quotes" joke, as referred to by John_Lee above.
Ross is trying to explain to Joey exactly why he's upset, and he keeps making little quote marks in the air with his fingers to accentuate his speech.
Joey interrupts, "Just so you know, Ross, when people do this (quote motion), I really don't understand what it means."
In what's supposed to be a friendly gesture, Joey then tries to use finger quotes several times in his rebuttal, and throughout the episode, but uses them wrong every time (except once, then he gets it wrong again after that). :laugh:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Actually, in the first two episodes of this season, I thought Schwimmer delivered some of the funniest lines without raising his voice.
Perhaps. That hasn't been the norm for the last 2-3 seasons.

I really, really liked Ross when the show began, and continued to like him through the 4th season.

However, once he had his "breakdown," he's been an inconsistent bundle of neuroses and bad hairstyles. The human, appealing aspects to his personality have apparently utterly vanished. Likewise with Monica, who I now call Shrieking Monica. Chandler, now being married and secure, has been declawed humor-wise (for the most part, does get an occasional zinger in). Rachel - frankly I can't even tell who she is anymore. The writers appear to have lost all desire to render characters with distinct personalities.

Except for Phoebe and Joey, who remain fairly two-dimensional, but at least are more consistent.

I think the final straw for me was the whole Joey Loves Rachel storyline. Forced and dumb. Even the actors didn't like it, considering it out of character. It reeked of desperation and inability to write more realistic humor.

But as you say, the numbers are up. So what do I know?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Ross is a much better character so far this season. Not nearly as whiny or annoying, and some classic lines, some with a deadpan delivery :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Ross has always been a bit of a whiner. Let's look at what's happened to him since season one. He's been divorced three times, had two kids out of wedlock and was fired from his job at the museum. However, I would like him to grow up and put the Joey thing aside and at least try to start things with Rachel (which will inevitably happen). Otherwise, he screwed up when he dumped Mona cause she was hot and a good person.

Still, I think the show has gotten better since the first two seasons and they can keep making the show as long as I still think it's funny..

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
And don't miss the last scene during the credits either
It would be a lot easier if they stopped having the show run a few minutes over. Not sure if they are genuinely running long, or if they're squeezing in a few more commercials (or both). Is Scrubs shorter?

And ER starts at least two minutes early!

//Ken

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would be a lot easier if they stopped having the show run a few minutes over. Not sure if they are genuinely running long, or if they're squeezing in a few more commercials (or both).
NBC is purposely messing with start/end times in order to try and keep people from changing the channel between shows. I read somewhere that "Friends" is going to run a couple minutes long every week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks