Friends 01/31/02 - a question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Feb 1, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

So, Ross stood in line at the concession stand in the movie theater when Joey called about Rachel's pregnancy pains. He comes to the hospital, and explains that he was in the line, and he's holding a bag of candy.
    This seemed like a setup for the same joke that was used in "Seinfeld", where Elaine found out about her boyfriend being in the hospital, but she still waited in line to buy candy, and of course the boyfriend asked about that later on.
    Now, why was there no payoff for this setup in last night's episode of "Friends"? It certainly seemed like it was supposed to lead up to something like that.
    Did they scrap it because someone pointed out that it was used in "Seinfeld" already? Was it scrapped at the script stage, or was it just edited out of the episode? It seemed like they must have filmed it, since why would they have kept it in that he had bought the candy?
    Anyway... just some questions. [​IMG]
    /Mike

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The joke is different from Seinfeld's gag. Ross was in line at the theater buying candy WITH his girlfriend Mona. He rushes to the hospital totally forgetting about Mona and worrying more about Rachel. He realizes that he forgot about Mona when Joey asks him about the candy in his hand. To which he replies: "MONA!"
    The same gag occurs when Ross goes over to Joey & Rachel's apartment. Ross forgets that he had to meet Mona an hour ago.
    These events are building up to something bigger.

3. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Wasnt last night a repeat? I swear when I flipped to the channel it was a rerun of the episode with Rachels dad finding out she was pregnant...

JQ

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Rutger, thanks for the explanation, but I don't see how that makes much of a difference. Even if he was in line WITH her, it means that he waited until they bought the candy, then all of a sudden got in such a big hurry right after they bought it that he left without giving it to her?

I guess an explanation would be if it was the both of them in line he didn't check his beeper right away or something.

To me it almost seemed like they threw in the second "forgetting about Mona" gag to cover up the fact that the first setup didn't lead anywhere.

But you're probably right, some of the writing in "Friends" is really, really bad when it comes to things like these.

Jason, the episode at 7 (or 8 in most places I guess) was a new episode, the 7:30/8:30 slot had the repeat.

/Mike

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Jason, there were two episodes last night. The first at 8:00p was a new one, the second was a repeat.

And the candy was Ross'. But he forgot about Mona in the line with him. So he checked his pager and rushed to the hospital without Mona. Thus leaving her behind at the theater.

No, it was not a cover up line. That is how the joke is supposed to go. In fact, it has the likely hood of becoming a recurring gag untill Mona finally breaks up with Ross thus allowing him to maybe get back with Rachel.

After all, the same gag does occur later in the episode, as I said previously, where Ross realizes that he had to meet Mona an hour ago even though he is at Joey & Rachel's.

6. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

as soon as Ross mentioned the whole concession line up thing i thought of Seinfeld, but then yeah, it went in a different direction.

but it reminds me of the time Chandler said he would do a "pre-emptive strike" and break up with Janice first - another Seinfeld reference.

7. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

huh. My TiVo must have been messing with me. Guess I'll catch it in repeats.

JQ

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Dunno exactly how a TiVo works, but since there were two episodes on NBC last night, if you had it just "record Friends" and just did a "show me the latest episode of Friends" (if there is such a function) then you would have gotten the repeat at the half-hour. You need to go back two episodes.

//Ken