What's new

Friend needs receiver, $400-600 (1 Viewer)

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking into receivers for a friend, and haven't really been keeping current. It will be used mostly for home theater, and he still needs to buy speakers, so not sure what he'll end up with, other than they will not be small satelites. It looks like the Pioneer 1014 is extremely popular here. I do have one question about it though - my friend wants 2nd zone capabilities, how is the 2nd zone on the 1014 and do you need a separate amp to use it?

Any other receivers in this price range he should look into (Denon, Marantz)?

Thanks

tommy_E

Agent
go with the yammie 5790{got mine for $530 off electronicgiant.com} now they have the 58-line of new receivers...so go with the yamaha

ciao

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a Denon AVR-1905. My primary usage is (50/50) movies/games. So far, I'm loving it. It is built like a rock. The main reason I ended up w/ a Denon was from reading other recommendations on this board and at the AVS forum. I also needed 3 component inputs. (DVD/XBOX/PS2) I think at around $500, only the Denon or the Onkyo had 3 component ins. the 1905 also has a zone-B although i don't need it.

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha RXV-650 (I think the 660 is out now) and I love the Zone 2. It powers my outdoor speakers and uses the surround back power (95 watts x 2) No need for an external amp unless you need to watch a 7.1 movie and listen to zone 2 at the same time. You can still watch a 5.1 movie and listen to zone 2. I think the RXV-650 is just the B&M equivalent to the 57xx that the big box stores sell.

Richard_A

Auditioning
I just ordered a new Yamaha 5860, should arrive Monday. Seems like an excellent price for the performance (under $400).

I had tried to include the product link and the site I ordered from but the forum's rules don't permit it. =/

Email me if you want the URL for where I bought mine.

I was leary about ordering from an online site that isn't rated or have any posted feedback. A little more digging I found they are an ebay power seller with great feedback. It took a while to get the shipping info and tracking number after they billed my CC. But my email was promptly replied to and they seem pretty good.

I can't wait to get this hooked up to my new Cerwin Vega E-710s that just arrived today.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks