Friend needs help with HDTV....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardK, Jun 19, 2001.

1. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

A friend of mine has the following sets in their home and is now ready to go for the HDTV broadcast.
    Mits WS-73903
    Mits WT-46805
    What equipment can she use to get HD broadcasts OTA and via Satellite? They are currently using the Dish 500 system for satellite.
    Apparently the mits 73903 needs some sort of adapter to work with an HD receiver other than the Mits HD rcvr.
    Please dig deep in to your vast knowledge and help my friend out...
    thanks
    RichardK

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Richard,
    Since you say they have a Dish500, that means they are using Dishnetwork as their DBS provider. The Dish500 is the 20" dish not the model reciver that they are using. If they want to stay with Dish, they need an 18" dish (Dish300) pointed at a satellite at 61.5 degrees or 148 degrees. They will also need switches to combine the signals from both of these dishes. If the Dish500 has a large LNB on the end of the arm, a pair of SW21 switches will combine everything. If the Dish500 has two individual LNBs on the end of the arm, then there are other options. An SW64 will combine the feeds from each LNB. If they already have some SW21s combining the feeds from the Dish500 LNBs, then an SW44 combined with the SW21s. If this is confusing, here are Dish's diagrams:Link
    They have only one option for the receiver. The HD6000 is the current model that decodes HD signals. Combine the reciever with an 8VSB module (may still be on sale at Sears.com) for OTA HD signals and a decent UHF antenna and they are set. I have not heard of any adapter needed for the Mitsu TVs and the HD6000.
    If they decide to use a Mitsu HD receiver, then they will be switching to DirecTV. That system will reqire a single 24" dish but they lose Showtime HD and a full time HD PPV channel.
    -Robert

3. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

quote: The HD6000 is the current model that decodes HD signals. Combine the reciever with an 8VSB module (may still be on sale at Sears.com) for OTA HD signals and a decent UHF antenna and they are set. [/quote]
    The Dish 6000 with 8VSB OTA option is a good choice. But check for more specific info on your local HDTV channels; 2 of the 4 in my area broadcast on UHF, the other 2 on VHF.

4. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

okay to clarify my question. please disregard anything specifically related to satellite for a moment thanks.
    Do the Mits 73903 and Mits 46805 need special adapters to connect to an HD rcvr other than the Mits rcvr? if they want to hook to an RCA, Panny,etc. her understanding is she needs an adapter of some sort.
    please advise.
    Thanks