Friend has $1500, how to spend it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Ok, so this guy I work with overheard me talking to another friend about how cool 5.1 sound is with movies. He said he'd really like to do something like that, and has been looking into it. He lives in an apartment, so keep that in mind. He has a TV(won't use progressive scan), but needs to purchase speakers, dvd player, and A/V receiver on a budget of about $1500. I think I could figure out the dvd player(maybe something like the RP56), receiver(denon 1802 or 1602 maybe), but need more help with speaker selection, including the sub. I would be fired up if I could end up with an svs 25-31pci(only $499 now), but that may not fit in the budget depending on the other speakers. Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Hi Lynn,

I'm not able to offer any suggestions for you in that price region, but I believe there've been a number of threads asking similar questions in recent weeks either here in the Basics area or in the Speakers or Receivers Forums. You might try looking back through older postings. (specifically, I think there have been some suggestions for component systems for roughly $500-$1000 instead of people going with HTiB's or Home Theater's in a Box--there might be some good ideas in these threads).

Regards,

Mike

3. Den_J

Den_J Auditioning

You may want to try Home Theater Direct for your speakers. The level three 5.1 set sounds great but may be out of your price range (about $1000.00) but the level 2 5.1 sets are $499 and get good reviews. Best of all-if you don't like them the pay the return freight to send them back.
    http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/

4. Winston_T

Winston_T Agent

First. Tell your friend to LISTEN to speakers first. If you do some A/Bing you'll be surprised at what you can actually hear.
    Second. Do as mike says (look at similar threads). This question has been asked a lot.
    Here is an example setup:
    Diva 4.1 ($599 - Front Floor Standing)
    Diva C3 ($499 - Center)
    Diva 2.1 (Free - Rear Surrounds)
    Total: $1100 + shipping
    (FYI: I have the 6.1 package (6.1 x 2, C3, R3 x2) and love it. You can find out more at www.audioenvy.com/diva It's the fan FAQ site.)
    Throw in a PS2 [​IMG] (or any cheap DVD player) and a cheap receiver (lots of those around, see other threads).
    Notice. This set up doesn't have a LFE channel (sub). This is a compromise in sound vs. $$ and also practicality. Appartment setting = neighbors who could be a problem. BUT, it also means when you are ready, you can throw in some BIG impact by adding a good "cheap" sub, like svs or the HSU VTF-2 (sub only manufactures are a good way to go). If you get a good sub first and so-so speakers, then your sub may sound good, but most of your movies won't be up to it, IMHO. Summary: Good system for the budget with an easy upgrade path.
    This is an example only, listen to some speakers.

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

My audio setup setup that will be complete in about a month will include.

Receiver Pioneer VSX-D811S $300(Internet) $400(Authorized Dealer)

Main Speakers JBL NORTHRIDGE SERIES N38 $99 Each at JandR.com (Authorized Dealer)

Surround/Surround Back/Center speakers ill use the JBL NSP1 $249 at JandR.com (Authorized Dealer)

Subwoofer Sony SA-WM40 about $150

$200 for a Decent DVD player

Total $1200 that gives you $300 left over for cables, speaker wires, stands, DVD's etc...

JandR also has free shipping on allot of there items.

6. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Lynn

My system cost about that and I am thrilled with it. I have a JVC 523 DVD player (about $175), Onkyo 575x receiver and Atlantic T70 speaker system ($1200 for the receiver/speakers combined). Throw in a few hundred for cables and you are set. This may not be "the ultimate" system, but I find it to be great for my needs. Good luck

Jeff Wilson

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about two pair of JBL Studio Series I S26 for mains and surrounds (can be had for less than $180 a pair online, incredible deal). Add a S-Center (less than $200 if you can find a Series one, but doubt you will, Series II will be closer to $300, but sonically the same speaker). Then add your SVS25-31PCi.

For receiver Yamaha RX-V520 or one of Yamaha's other similar models would do nicely. Definately look into similarly priced Denon's and Onkyo's though.

Then ya the Panasonic you mentioned or the RV32 would be fine as well.