Friend Blew Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rory Buszka, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I am looking for some speakers for a friend of mine. He thinks he blew his old Sony "APM" speakers from the 80's (the ones with the square woofers). It might be another problem but I am just researching stuff for him. I'd roll him a DIY design but I won't have very good access to a wood shop anytime soon. He listens to a wide variety of source material, including punk rock and ska, but he also has a fairly discerning ear and he listens to other stuff on occasion. He is also big into DVD movies and also owns the Sony SA-WM40 sub that was so popular on here for a long time. He has a decent job and has about $250 to spend on speakers. The Best Buy store near my house carries Klipsch speakers, and I think that I will recommend for him the Klipsch Synergy SF-1 floorstandign speaker with MicroTractrix tweeter and 6.5" woofer.

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I don't think that he'll be able to buy a pair of the SF-1 for $250. I think they sell for $250 ea/$500 pr. They are really nice speakers for the money though. I have an entire surround built out of Synergy Speakers and they sound wonderful.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Oops, I am dumb. We are now looking at the Synergy SB-1, which is $250 for the pair. In addition, we are looking at the JBL Northridge E30 bookshelf speakers with the 6.5" woofer. We like the efficiency of the Klipsch, though, and the effortless highs at loud levels that the Synergy speakers are capable of. Those two are our considerations. What do you think of those? These will be used with a subwoofer, so I almost think the smaller woofer on the SB-1s will provide better midrange.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The Sony sub might not be able to keep up w/ the Klipsch volume wise if he likes it loud. Particularly if running the sub a little hot. Keep that in mind as you make your decision. But, yeah Klipsch is great.

5. Shane K

Shane K Agent

If you are shopping BBY, consider the Athena AS-B2 bookshelfs for $250 pair. Most stores don't carry them but they all have the smaller B1's on display and these are quite impressive little speakers.

Kinger