What's new

"Fried" Denon AVR-3600 (1 Viewer)

Mike Garofano

Auditioning
I own a Denon AVR-3600 receiver. Recently, while stupidly monkeying with bi-amping, I "blew" the amp (loud pop, some smoke, and that wonderful electrical odor). I checked all the fuses: none were blown. Now, "Protection" shows on the display whenever the unit is powered up. This brings me to my questions:

1. Is it worth fixing? Any ideas as to what the cost will be? How can I tell what part(s) has/have gone bad?
2. I have been looking to update my receiver anyway (I have owned this even before the advent of DTS)...how can I get some money out of this fried unit? Does Denon offer any kind of a trade-in procedure toward newer pieces of equipment? Do you know of any A/V electronics dealers/refurbishment shops who will give top dollar for damaged equipment?
3. Finally, any recommendations for a replacement receiver? I've been out-of-touch with advancements in home theater receivers so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your help!
Mike

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Seems like the perfect excuse for an 'upgrade'. Marantz, Onkyo, Denon all come to mind for good replacements.
Peace Out~:D

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
It's possible that some of the Denon's protection modes may not be unrecoverable. What does Denon say? The HK's I've owned have some of the fastest acting output short circuit protection circuits I've seen. Maybe your Denon can be fixed.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
You probably blew some of the output drivers (or its associated biasing components) on the channel you were monkeying with. Any respectable electronics repair shop ought to be able to fix it.

As for trade-in, it's not worth much these days. And, given that yours is blown, it's not worth hardly anything as is.

The Denon 4802 would be an ideal replacement candidate, if you've been satisfied with the Denon line. Or, save your bucks, and get it fixed (should be

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks