What's new

Fried board in Sony 36XBR450-NEED HELP! (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
My brother bought a Sony KV-36 XBR 450 television a little over two years ago. Somehow, some moisture got into the set and fried one of the 2 major boards (A1299481A is the part number)in the TV. A local repairman sent the board to Sony, but they said it was unfixable and they no longer stock it. The repairman said he called all over and was unable to locate the board anywhere else so basically he is out of luck. They told him his only option was to claim it as a loss on his homeowner's insurance and buy a new TV. Can this really be true? A $2000+ TV that is only a little over 2 years old is unfixable? Any suggestions who be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, just realized that this may be the wrong place to post htis question. If so please delete. Thanks.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Brian, small world. I grew up in woodbridge and my folks still live there.
Anyways a fried board should be repairable. My 32" Sony KV-32V16 had the board fried about 2 years ago. I bought it in 1996 and there were no problems getting it fixed.
If your brother lives in the DC area then I'd recommend Burke Electronics.

Good Luck,
Jeff

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!! I did a search on Sony's web page: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/productSearch.do

It shows the part is out of stock also:
A1299481A
PHASE III, A

Currently In Stock: No
Unit Price (in USD): $199.38

I'm a huge Sony fan, but this makes wonder if I shouldn't re-think my next HT purchase later this year (HERE ME SONY, you may now have $10k on the line here).

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Sony World Parts Center shows the board with an ETA of 3/24/04 so it might become available unless Phase III means a rebuild of a submitted board , then a water damaged board might not be rebuildable. The board has a couple of high pin count surface mount microprocessors located on it. If the copper traces are damaged then repair will be impossible. It is a fairly high density double sided board.

Two other notes : many other companies are worse than Sony in supporting sets over a few years old ; and just wait until the digital boards start failing , no independant servicer has the equipment to repair BGA and similar IC technologies . When they run out of stock on boards it could be $3000-$8000 sets that can't be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks