Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Romero, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

It's Friday the 13th, and NO marathons are being held on TV at all? When I was a kid, marathons would be held on TNT and USA all night. I guess that means we gotta create our own personal marathons, but it's just not the same. So bust out those DVD's and worn down VHS's, it's time for a night of killing.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Actually, it's Saturday the 14th.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

3. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Let's not get technical. Friday the 13th lasts until the sun rises on the 14th.

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

All I know is that Friday the 13th Part III makes me want to disco dance. [​IMG]

5. Michael Hansen

Hi There,

In my country there is no tradition, whatsoever, of showing marathons on television. Actually, I have never made anything special out of Friday the 13th, except for the fact that the movies of the same name has a special place in my heart. But yesterday was different.

A couple of friends and I often come together to cook dinner, eat and watch a bunch of movies, old as well as new. Up till now we have not seen one single horror/shocker movie. I usually try and pursuade them by making fun of the movies they choose (infantile, I now it, but I believe even I should be allowed to enjoy MY movies with friends).

So, since it was Friday the 13th, a girlfriend phoned me and said that tonight I got to choose one movie all by my self. And she even promised, with concent of the others, that they would sit through the whole deal.

Of course I got very 'wired up' and started thinking of a horror-flick that I hadn't seen, that I would like to see with them. I knew some of them, if not all, have problems with scary movies, becasue they find them ... well, scary. So wrecking my brains for 30 minutes at the local Blockbuster, I came up with two choices. Either Bill Paxtons debut Frailty or Jeepers Creepers.

Being a real slasher-buff from the 80'ies, I chose Creepers. Hmmm. So sitting through that movie with my friends, enjoying them being scared and shocked in regular intervals was simply the best movie-time I have spent for a long time. Even though, the movie had a very stupid and disappointing third act, it couldn't spoil my enjoyment of this Friday the 13th.

Does any of you guys - or girls - out there have any similar stories to share with the rest of us? Perhaps some movie-watching tradition with friends or family? I thought it might be interesting to hear how other people enjoy movies.

Sincerely,

Michael

6. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Huh! I didn't even realise it was Friday the 13th until I saw you're header.:b

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've got the Friday The 13th LP featuring music from the first 3 movies, including the disco theme from Part 3 (done by Michael Zager, who gave the world "Let's All Chant", one of the greatest disco songs ever made!)
    BTW I want part 3 in field-sequential 3-D!

8. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

I ALWAYS celebrate good ol' Friday the 13th with a Jason/Pamela Voorhees marathon. I was a little pressed for time yesterday though, so I opted for The Final Chapter, just because I hadn't seen it in awhile.
    It is a shame though, that there are less marathons on these days. I remember in the mid-90's, several channels would show non-stop Jason, Michael and Freddy non-stop every Halloween. Those were the days...now we are stuck with "American Idol" re-runs. [​IMG]

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I have always had a space reserved on my shelf for F13 parts 1,2,3,4,6 & 7. But the near $30 price tags have slowed that venture down. I saw pt 3 at my local Hastings for $16.99, maybe the others will soon follow. I have always been a sucker for the shenanigans of Jason Vorhees[​IMG]

10. Michael Hansen

Hi,

The Friday the 13th series was the first horror-movies I saw growing up. When I was younger, no more than a child, my parent wouldn't let me watch the late-night movies, because they usually had a lot of violence in them or something very scary. They knew I wouldn't be able to sleep for two or three days after watching a violent movie.

But now things have changed. From the mid-eighties and until now I have basically watched nothing but horror-flicks. I love and can't get enough of them. It is just too bad for me, that I really don't have anyone to watch them with, since most of my friends dislike horror/shocker/slasher-films *sob*.

Although I also find the Freddy-movies enjoyable, the Jason kill-fests are my first love. Call me crazy and without taste, but that's me.

/Michael

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I personally think that the concept of watching any splatter film on commercial television is somewhat akin to trying to get blasted on non-alcoholic beer. [​IMG]

12. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Gotta admit, Brian has a point. You haven't truely seen a Friday the 13th film until you've seen all the violense and gore.

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I used the $5 gift certificate from my Near Dark pre-order to FINALLY buy myself the original F13 on DVD. I still haven't watched it yet, but it just now dawned on me that I've seen this movie 8 times throughout my life...never once in its OAR.
    I'll be watching it this weekend! [​IMG] The first four F13 flicks bring back more childhood memories than would a dump-truck full of photo albums.

15. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Much as I hate to promote TNN, they're holding an all-day Friday marathon (starting with Part II and ending with Part VII) on Halloween starting at 2PM.